Graphics Cards for 1440p 3D Game Development

Sailanarmo

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
Hey guys,

I am debating right now whether my GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 is enough to handle engines like Unreal/Cry. I have been told by some people that I may need up to 32GB of RAM in my PC. Is this true? I have been bouncing back and forth between forums and I cannot seem to find a clear cut answer for this.

I know for gaming, a single GTX 980 isn't as good as a 8GB R9 925x2 (don't quote me on this, I have heard both arguments and can't come up with a winner) But I am going to get started in 3D Rendering, graphics and animations, and I want to make my game with the highest graphics I can get them in. I am torn whether or not I need to spend the extra money to upgrade to SLI 2 980's, buying a single R9 925x2, or if I am fine with the card I currently have.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

CreepyBobo346

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
Are you sure?

The cards I'm about to tell you are VERY EXPENSIVE.

Just tell me how much you have to spend.
I'm sure you have a limit on how much you can spend.

D

Deleted member 1732396

you need a content greation gpu i would recommend this one if you want amd AMD GPU and this one if you want nvidia NVIDIA GPU hope this helps i would recommend the amd option

D

Deleted member 1732396

you need a content greation gpu i would recommend this one if you want amd AMD GPU and this one if you want nvidia NVIDIA GPU hope this helps i would still recommend the amd option

Sailanarmo

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014

Alright CreepyBobo346. I have a team of 4 people willing to spend some money. If it were up to me I would say in the range of $1000 - $2000. Which is covered in Dual GTX 980's however, if these are different cards that we are talking about here then hit me with them.

Sailanarmo

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014

Thanks BlueBossGamer. I will keep these in mind here, are these the top of the line cards here? And what's the difference between these cards and say the gaming cards?

0nard00

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
Best consider a non gaming gpu if you're really gonna go into a full 2D/3D build. Firepro or quadro would be a nice start. Since budget is not an issue, add a single 980 just for actuall testing.

Professional cards will help you more than a gaming gpu. 32gb doesn't hurt, since the new Mac pro has 32gb and a 295x, that thing is way fast. Speed speed speed, is what you should be concerned about. Just my thought, since I've seen a bunch of professional desktop builds and used Macs, plus, I'll be doing the same soon.
Hope that helps

D

Deleted member 1732396

these cards are optimized for 3d modeling they leave out the fluff that gaming cards give and instead give you better single cuddacore proformance and the amd one has 16 gb of ram the nvidia one has 12

D

Deleted member 1732396

there are tons of these cards look up nvidia tesla, nvidia quadro, and amd firepro

D

Deleted member 1732396

ehh with a mac your spending about 500$ for the os thats not to say they are bad but for the money you can do much better especially with the gpus

Sailanarmo

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
Thanks guys, you have given me a lot to think about and work with. I have asked in 3 different Reddit Forums and no dice, but you guys have definitely turned my day around.

D

Deleted member 1732396

for testing 2 970s will out preform the r9 295x2

D

Deleted member 1732396

although while slower than quadros and firepros the titan z has 12 gb of ram so it shouldent be to bad for both development and gaming

CreepyBobo346

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
2 GTX 970s in SLi is only 6% better than 1 R9 295X2, getting the R9 295X2 would save a little more money:D
But since you has nun budget, you can get the GTX 970s BUT your VRAM WILL NOT change.

Just get a Firepro or Quadro (I recommend Quadro, don't trust the AMD YooToobz channel. Their cards cheated in video rendering, you ccan obviously tell the firepro was speeded up).

A firepro might have more RAM but the Quadro is better at rendering and things like that.

D

Deleted member 1732396

the main issues with all the quadros and teslas is they are so out dated yet again its not that they are bad card but i am a little biased to amd ever since nvidia lied about the 970 specs

0nard00

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015

In the content creation industry, it's a must to know how to use a MAC, even own one. I enjoy using a MAC, I just don't see myself owning one yet. Only thing they have nice that I can see, is the monitor really. They show quality and color quite well.