How to set up Wake on Lan WOL for remote access

RuinedXJake

Reputable
Jan 11, 2015
I wanted to let you guys know what system I have and how I set up my WOL for remote and Local access. My system runs windows 7, so I don't know how much this applies to 8.

To start off, My goal was to remotely startup my pc from sleep or powered off state from anywhere in the world using Wake on Lan via WAN(wide area network). Basically I was able to do this by 1. searching a few pieces of info on my pc and configuring the Network card, 2. port forwarding in my router, and 3. configuring my application for WOL.

1. searching for some information

First off search for device manager in start menu, and go to network adapters. I am using my onboard lan port, but if you are using something else it is okay. I have no idea how to set up WLAN, and it is a little different I think. But anyways, right click the properties of the card, and go to power options. See if you have the option to allow that device to wake the computer. If not, here is a link on how you may or may not fix that issue: here

next off, you will want to press start, and search "cmd", then right click, run as administrator, and type in "ipconfig /all" yes there is a space in there. Now find the card name you enabled to wake the computer, and write down that MAC address, and when you find the IPv4 address (which is usually with the onboard card) write that down too.

now google what is my IP address. This will be the address you use on your app. write it down too.

2. port forwarding- there are so many tutorials out there and each one is a little different. Something uniform for many ways is to find your router's ip address online (unique by the model and brand, like netgear you can just search in your browser routerlogin.net and it takes you there). You will need to know the username and password to login to your router. The standards are username : admin, and password : password. Now find advanced settings, get to port forwarding, and setup UDP port forwarding with all the ports set to 9. Now the IP address is the IPv4 Address, or your PC name if you find it. This will setup port forwarding to your PC.

note: you may want to see if you can dedicate your IP address of your PC in the LAN settings on the router. This prevents the addresses from changing on your mysteriously.

3. configuring my application

My favorite and simple app is Wake On Lan by mafro. it works well. for the reference, give it the name you want. MAC address is the device/ network card address you got earlier. Now the IP address is your ip address you googled. However, note that you cannot wake on lan from the same network using this IP address. In fact, it is a whole different IP address for Local devices. If you are using a smartphone, disconnect from wifi and continue. Anything else, and you will need to setup a simple pptp VPN network, or connect to a different network to wake your system.

The last option, which is for local use only so you can use the same network, is to use the IP address for your computer, and replacing the last number with your subnet mask(subnet mask is identifiable in the router settings). However this method is inconclusive in finding out whether you initialized port forwarding properly, mainly because internal commands do not test port forwarding. This is why if remote WOL doesn't work, it is usually easier to set up WOL from the local network. Here is how you do it: take your PC's IP address like "192.168.1.21" and your subnet mask "255.255.255.0" and combine them to make 192.168.1.255. I think it is just the first number of the subnet mask that replaces the last number on the PC IP, but I cannot be sure.

This IP address is just a broadcast to any device, and since you have the device MAC address entered, it will be the only thing to respond.

This wasted 25 minutes of my life typing, and 10 hours troubleshooting, so I wish you the best.
JavaScript:

riopelnet112

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
In these cases you can configure TeamViewer in such a way that the target computer is wakened through this address. The configuration effort of this method is higher and more complex than in method A, because you have to set up your router accordingly.

RuinedXJake

Reputable
Jan 11, 2015

So in the end, I have to have A computer on to turn on any other computer's? ugh. haha. You'd think there would be a solution by now without needing a $300 router.