Dual Monitor, How to make one Primary

AlexisGooner

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
Hi Guys,

I have just installed a Saphire Radeon HD5450 graphics card. I needed a HDMI connection for my PC to connect to a TV for presentations only.
My Monitor is a Acer S235HLBMII. Which is connected to the PC with SVGA and the TV is connected by HDMI.
PC is a Windows 8 OS.
What is happening is:
If both cables are plugged in (SVGA and HDMI), it automatically makes the Acer screen a secondary display and the TV the main one. And it is on the Extension mode. Also the TV is behind my back not next to the Acer Screen.
I have normally never had a problem connecting dual monitors. What I would like is the following.
HDMI to computer is connected all the time but TV is switched off. Acer monitor to be used as primary screen and the Samsung TV to be used as secondary. And occasionally when presentation/ Images are required I switch the TV on and extend the display so I can move the images slideshow or the presentation over to the TV and continue using my Acer screen as normal. Once I finish I cancel extension mode back to Screen 1 and turn TV off.
Is there a way of making this work?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Try this -
1. Connect up both displays (monitor and TV); Windows key + P to select dual monitor Extend mode
1. Windows key to get to the Desktop
2. Right-click on Desktop > Screen Resolution
3. Highlight the Acer monitor
4. Enable the option "Make this my Main Display
5. Apply/OK your way out.
You can change which screen is the primary screen in the windows "screen resolution" control panel. Right click on the desktop to get there. You can then easily switch between extending your display, mirroring your display, or only using a single display by holding the windows key and pressing P at the same time.

ThomasLeong

Honorable
May 27, 2013
Try this -
1. Connect up both displays (monitor and TV); Windows key + P to select dual monitor Extend mode
1. Windows key to get to the Desktop
2. Right-click on Desktop > Screen Resolution
3. Highlight the Acer monitor
4. Enable the option "Make this my Main Display
5. Apply/OK your way out.

Solution