How to use dedicated graphics when monitor is connected to laptop

link12

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
I have a Razer Blade 2014 and I plug it in to my AOC l2369vm monitor so i can watch videos or skygo whilst i am doing my work and such.. I use it for gaming too but when I start a game it auto switches to the GPU, the problem is that when I am watching videos it puts too much strain on the integrated graphics but doesn't turn on my GPU resulting in very low frames when watching video in full screen. Is there a way to set the GPU to turn on either when i connect the monitor or when i plug in my charger? Preferably the first.

Solution
You'd have to look around in the Nvidia Control Panel for that one.

But your browser should be using your dedicated GPU for x264 decoding if you have hardware acceleration enabled. If you're talking about youtube videos then maybe consider switching to HTML 5 instead of using flash as it is much more lightweight and should put a lesser strain on your iGPU.

dovah-chan

Honorable
You'd have to look around in the Nvidia Control Panel for that one.

But your browser should be using your dedicated GPU for x264 decoding if you have hardware acceleration enabled. If you're talking about youtube videos then maybe consider switching to HTML 5 instead of using flash as it is much more lightweight and should put a lesser strain on your iGPU.

Solution