Need help choosing Graphics Card

cjsteigerwald

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
I am currently building a new desktop that is primarily going to be used for computer programming and research. I would like to be able to run 2 displays via display port:
1. is a 27" monitor resolution is 2560 X 1440
2. second monitor will either be another 27" 2560 x 1440, or a 34" 3440 x 1440

I would like purchase a video card that can comfortably run both monitors, I do not game, but will watch some video on these.

Budget- I would like to be under $500, lower the better!

That is not a good card to get, for the price it's horrible. Then only time you would want to get branded cards from HP, Dell, etc.. if it's for corporate use and for warranty support from the vendor.

Don't know if that $500 budget is for the whole system or just the video card, but if you are planning on spending that much on just the card, you may was well get a low end gaming video card that is about $100, you may get sucked into gaming at some point and will have a card you can use.

For the high res monitors, to have some reserve for decent games with pretty low power use, nVidia GTX 960 is good, for lower price if you really won't care about game performance, AMD 7770/250X or 260X or nVidia 750 or 750 Ti will be fine.

harboym

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

None of those cards have two display ports.

Many GTX 960 cards have 3 DP ports.

http://techreport.com/review/27702/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-graphics-card-reviewed

There are several 7770 cards with dual mini display ports, and at least one model of the 250X with the same.

DVI should also handle the resolution of the monitors just fine, I'd rather chose a much faster card over having the same connection type which really is very rarely needed aside from aesthetics.