About to build my first PC - advice please

arandomDerek

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
First off, thanks in advance for any help and advice you offer in this thread.

I'm a fairly tech savvy person, and I've dabbled in altering computers a bit, but I've never really gone much past installing a new graphics card or some RAM sticks. Basic stuff. For years I've wanted to build my own PC but never quite got around to it. I'm about to start making YouTube videos as a hobby, and streaming from Twitch too. To that end, I want to put together a PC that will be capable of doing video editing, gaming, and streaming both PC games and console games (with my capture card) to Twitch. From what I understand and have read, a mid range gaming PC will fit my needs. My budget is about $1,000 dollars, but I can go up by a couple of hundred if you guys advice that. Alternatively, if what I'm posting below is way more than I need and I can go down I'll listen to that too!

So, here is a link to a PC Part Picker build I was playing around with.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Pgk6xr

And my answers to the questions in the stickied thread.
Approximate purchase date: As soon as this weekend depending on feedback. But if there is some major upgrade over the horizon you guys think I should wait for, I can do that.
Budget range: About $1,000
System usage from most to least important: Video editing, streaming, gaming
Are you buying a monitor: No, I intend to use my TV. I even have an extra 32 inch TV I can use just for this actually.
Do you need to buy OS: Yes. I plan to get Windows 8.
Preferred website for parts: Amazon. I'm a prime member.
Parts preference: Intel and NVIDIA, but if I'm super honest with myself that's probably just brand recognition....
Overclocking: Probably not.
SLI or Crossfire: I...actually don't know what that is. Did I say I was tech savvy earlier? Forget I said that.

I think that's it. I can provide any more information you need to advise me further. Thanks again for taking the time to read this and help me

Derek

How about this?
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.69 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($68.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team Xtreem Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone PS07B MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $998.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-05 16:57 EST-0500