Sign in with
Your question

CPU idle at 90°C?!

Last response: in CPUs
May 17, 2012 4:24:57 PM

Hi, yesterday I noticed my CPU temp was dangerously high, so I went and got some thermal compound in the hopes that re-applying that would bring the temps back down to normal. No joy. As far as I can tell, the heat sink is seated properly, the thermal compound was applied correctly and there's no reason the CPU should be running so hot. It's an intel core 2 quad, q9550, reset to default settings on an asus P5Q3 mobo. I've run out of ideas on how to fix this, short of buying a new mobo and/or processor. These readings are from the bios and were confirmed with speedfan.

More about : cpu idle 90c

a b à CPUs
May 17, 2012 4:52:58 PM

Is the heatsink fan spinning? I'd also double-check the heatsink seating...it's likely to either be one or the other. If you need to replace your heatsink, there are several cheap aftermarket options such as the Coolermaster Hyper-212.
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2012 4:54:44 PM

Sounds like the paste isn't on right.

I would be worried about your processor melting at 90c.
Related resources
May 18, 2012 3:46:10 AM

Quote:
Is the heatsink fan spinning? I'd also double-check the heatsink seating...it's likely to either be one or the other. If you need to replace your heatsink, there are several cheap aftermarket options such as the Coolermaster Hyper-212.

The fan is spinning, but apparently one of the pegs had popped out. Had to take the motherboard out to get it back in there properly, but I'm running at 37°C now. Thanks!
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2012 12:36:35 PM

Yeah, if the processor fan isn't mounted correctly the paste can't make the proper connection necessary to pass heat to the heat sink fins.

Glad it is sorted out now.
!