GTX 780 Ti with 3 GB of VRAM for 1440p resolution

Vectorized

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Hello guys,
I want to buy a 1440p monitor.

I have an ASUS GTX 780 Ti with 3 GB of VRAM.

Is a single 780 Ti right to play at 1440p? I'm worried about the 3 Gb of VRAM, because I don't know if they're enought to enjoy that resolution with all games...

Thanks!

Solution
I have a GTX 770 2GB card with a 1440p monitor.
In many games I have to disable AA, but this is because of processing power rather than video memory.
The only game that managed to exceed 2GB was Skyrim with mods and AA. I changed the mods to use smaller textures (still much better than base game) and disable AA and it is is great now.
The GTX 780 Ti with 3GB of VRAM should handle this very well, and there is no single GPU card worth upgrading to from this card at the moment.

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished
3GB's is not too bad for 1440p. 4gb's is optimal but you should be fine with 3gb's.

Games such as Bf4 will run fine and most newer titles, but in the future that amount may be a bit small. If you decide to go SLI it may not be a great idea.

I have a GTX 770 2GB card with a 1440p monitor.
In many games I have to disable AA, but this is because of processing power rather than video memory.
The only game that managed to exceed 2GB was Skyrim with mods and AA. I changed the mods to use smaller textures (still much better than base game) and disable AA and it is is great now.
The GTX 780 Ti with 3GB of VRAM should handle this very well, and there is no single GPU card worth upgrading to from this card at the moment.

Solution

Newer games and mods for older games will use more VRAM than the benchmarks in that article, but 3GB is enough for all but the highest settings.
This is also in the context that you already have the card. If you were buying today the GTX 980 would be a better buy.
There is nothing worth upgrading to now from the GTX 780 Ti. Once the Pascal cards are released next year you will have a real upgrade path.

There are no 2K monitors. 2K resolutions are video standards that are a little wider than 1920x1080.
In this case the "2K" is the horizontal resolution rather than the vertical.

FHD - 1920x1080 - Sometimes called 1080p, but this is actually a video standard
QHD - 2560x1440 - Sometimes called 1440p using a similar convention to 1080p
4K - 3840x2160 - If we followed the same standard as 1080p and 1440p, this would be 2K but the name uses the horizontal resolution instead.

These are the 16:9 resolutions. You sometimes get 16:10 resolutions where the vertical resolution is a little higher, e.g. 2560x1600 for QHD.
You are also starting to see some 21:9 monitors that are wider than a standard monitor and have a higher horizontal resolution, e.g. 3440x1440 for QHD.

QHD monitors are the best compromise between performance and quality at the moment for games. 4K is still too much for most setups, and 4K monitors have various limitations.