GTX770 Dual Monitor Question

BigValueBacon

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Hello all,

I have recently decided to attempt connecting a second monitor to my GTX770 and have been having difficulty getting it to work.

The first monitor has three display ports; VGA, DVI-D and HDMI.
The second monitor has only one port; VGA.

I'm currently using two VGA wires, a VGA-DVI-I adapter and a VGA-DVI-D adapter.

I have my main monitor plugged into the VGA port on the monitor, the wire is then connected to a VGA to DVI-I adapter and inserted into the GPU.

The issue here is getting the second monitor to be detected. I recently went over to a local PC World and Maplins and employees of both stores said that I would simply need to purchase a VGA-DVI-D adapter and insert that into the GPU as well to have the second monitor working (I bought one online for £2 since they were being sold for £24.99 in-store!).

I have now received and connected the VGA-DVI-D adapter to the VGA wire attached to the VGA-ONLY monitor and it is not being detected; How would I go about remedying this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Solution

Yep get a dvi-d or HDMI cable. I run dual monitors on my 770's...

King_Potato

Honorable
May 13, 2014
Have you tried just swapping the cable connectors on your GTX 770? Multiple monitor setups usually have detection issues caused by prioritisation issues (or so I've heard), and this might just fix it.

BigValueBacon

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
King_Potato, thank you for the quick reply!
I have just tried what you had suggested, the second monitor turned on and was working correctly. The first and main monitor however was not. It was showing a message on-screen saying "No cable connected". Clicking 'detect' or 'identify' on the windows display settings also did not work.

BigValueBacon

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
baniDJ, that would require me to go out and buy a HDMI cable. My general question is simply this; From the cables or adapters that I'm using, could there be anything I'm doing wrong that would be stopping it from working?

I don't mind going out and buying additional wires, I would however like to know if the issue is capable of being fixed without having to actually do it (saving money is always good, right?).

BigValueBacon

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015

I see. Understood, thank you very much for the information (thank you everyone else for your replies as well!). I should have looked into it more before making any purchases on the adapters, a fault on my part, I suppose.

So to be clear, if I drove to the closest PC store in the area now and bought a DVI-D or HDMI cable and connected it to the 770 and the second monitor to the VGA-DVI-I, it 'should' all be working correctly?

bignastyid

Titan

Yep get a dvi-d or HDMI cable. I run dual monitors on my 770's, both are connected via DVI cables.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS