Got a 750W PSU, looking for possible gpu upgrades?

Sloomingbla

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
So my 450w cpu ended up dying, and so when we sent it to get repaired they decided to replace it with a 750W. Niiiiiiice ;)

Right now my specs are as follows:

motherboard: msi ms 7721

cpu: AMD Athlon x4 750k

gpu: Radeon hd7770 1gb

(dont know case model but it can fit anything, it is massive)

1 stick 4gb ram - (want 8 gb soon)

500 gb HDD (Completely fine with this)

I dont have enough money to purchase anything too soon, but im planning on saving for it.

What do you guys think would be the best increase of performance with a 300$ budget?

Also, what do you think is the maximum my psu could handle as far as upgrades go?

My target games would be skyrim(fully modded) and dayz. Im currently on a 1080p monitor.

Thanks alot guys ^.^

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
at $300 the gtx 970 is the way to go. they are down to that price now at the low end. it can run on 500w easy so 750 would be ample power. similar performance would be an r9-290x which is just a bit cheaper but need twice the power. the 750w is still plenty for it also. basically you can run any single card you wish on 750w

either card will run 1080p at max settings on 1080p with no problem and will give high fps the whole time. as you go lower in price, the cards get lower in performance and a r9-280/gtx 960 would be the minimum i would go for solid 1080p gaming and they are around $180-210.

what model psu is it? just to be sure it is decent quality. often oem psu's are pretty crappy and don't offer the power they claim. always safe to check to be sure. :)