FULL HD portable monitor under/or 17" while using HDMI/DisplayPort etc?

ngbeslhang

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
I used to be on this (http://www.nextcomputing.com/products/portable-monitors) but it's way too expensive. So I decide to ask here. (Since I can't search any, but maybe I am bad at using searching terms)

I once used to choosr USB monitor as primary monitor of my future (portable) build, the problem is according to some websites it will not display until Windows fully start.

Here's my requirement:
1. Between 17" to 15"
2. At least able to use DisplayPort/HDMI
3. As slim as possible
3. (Optional) Powered with USB

Unless you are able to confront me to use the Asus MB168B+ for good reason, then I'll choose it. But first let's just stick the above requirements.

Thanks.

1) You didn't give a BUDGET so it makes it difficult to give you advice.

2) USB is a good idea even if it's the only option, but USB + mini-HDMI would be better. It's probable USB only works until you boot into Windows but apparently you used it before without issue so what's your beef there?

I assume you are attaching to a laptop anyway so why would you need a second screen before Windows finishes booting up?

3) *Note that Asus model calls for a USB3 connector. You CAN use USB2 but it will limit the brightness and quality.

Summary:
I didn't see a better monitor with a quick search and Asus in general has pretty good quality usually.

ngbeslhang

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

1. Budget is NOT an option. I am still planning.

2. I never used any of them before.
EDIT: Oh and, I am not using laptop for the monitor, I am planning for THIS (http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ngbeslhang/saved/CgLqqs) portable build.

3. I do know. The problem lies that it will not display anything until Windows is fully booted. I am not sure it will work because I didn't install driver nor have any monitors to do so.

EDIT: I am using them AS PRIMARY MONITOR.

ngbeslhang

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

Well, one day has passed.
I decide to requote again. I eagerly await your reply.

slekkas

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
My friend I'm also looking for a portable monitor 15" to 19" to connect my PS4. I like the Gechic but it's a little too expensive for me and I don't need the touch screen. have you stumbled upon any other good options while your where researching?

EdEdEd4

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
http://socialcompare.com/en/comparison/portable-monitors-23dj89km here are few portable monitors. You can compare those in the table. I am looking for portable monitor as well. I want to fit it on carry on luggage, but want to be bigger than 15.4" and with Full HD. I hope that there are not to many wishes :))) It would be perfect monitor for me with characteristics: IPS matrix, ~17 (19" maybe if fits to luggage size) screen size and 1920x1080 resolution, reasonable price, touch screen and build in system like in Gechic are unwanted options. Actually price is not so important thing for monitor if it fits to this description. I would pay as much as it cost if this monitor exists. Sharp monitor is closest to my wishes. Don't know if it will fit to hard shell carry on luggage case. It has touch screen and it feels like it was designed to work on horizontal position.

chx1975_

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
If you are willing to spend some money then the best portable monitors are tablet monitors. I carry a Sharp LL-S201A but Yiynova, Huion and other well known ;) companies have similar devices. If you need a monitor stand, buy a VESA mount compatible one and then a K&M 19685 LCD stand adapter and the K&M 23150 tripod forms an easy to carry monitor stand. It's excellent because it raises the monitor to the right height and yet surprisingly lightweight and stable at the same time, just make sure one leg of the tripod is perpendicular to the monitor and you'll be good. Optionally grab some M4 thumbscrews for easy assembly, four of them fits in a pill case (like http://www.ebay.com/itm/321758265946 ) which snaps into the cable holder of the Sharp.

MasterPCbuilder

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

Just wondering, what will your power source be? But anyway, that is pretty much exactly what I am doing. I thought nobody else is doing that! Regardless, I just want to say, I originally was going to do pretty much what you are doing, but I decided, mainly to power concerns to switch to a microboard. I am stuck between the latte panda 4gb / 64gb no windows and the UDOO 4gb model. And with this new, not super powerful machine (Not made for gaming, but rather productivity) I can build a cheap DIY laptop. It is going to be super cool and I am hoping to build inside of a suitcase. :D Good Luck!