Car axle generator

cottoncandyman82

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
So, what I was wondering was what if you attached a generator to a car axle (this would really only be helpful for an electric car) could you drive indefinitely, or a lot longer time? Also would it do anything and if it would work?

but the shaft would be a car axle

Also tell me if this does not make sense and I will add onto the details.

Solution
If you could make a car that would drive forever, then it would be done, especially if it just required a generator. At the very least you are looking at unity power, in which exactly what goes in, comes out, so that if 100amps are driving the axle, the generator is making 100amps to keep it going forever. Or you are talking about over-unit, in which 100amps goes in, and 110amps comes out, all which pesky physics things get in way of happening.

A generator also generates drag as it needs to be "moved" and this requires force, so the more force needs, the more power needed by the car's axles. This is why you will never get unit or 100% back power from such a system.

And lots of other reasons why it won't work.
If you could make a car that would drive forever, then it would be done, especially if it just required a generator. At the very least you are looking at unity power, in which exactly what goes in, comes out, so that if 100amps are driving the axle, the generator is making 100amps to keep it going forever. Or you are talking about over-unit, in which 100amps goes in, and 110amps comes out, all which pesky physics things get in way of happening.

A generator also generates drag as it needs to be "moved" and this requires force, so the more force needs, the more power needed by the car's axles. This is why you will never get unit or 100% back power from such a system.

And lots of other reasons why it won't work.

Solution

cottoncandyman82

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

Its not supposed to run forever, just a lot longer, if 100 amps is driving the axle, even 30 amps created by the generator would be a decent difference. According to my.teslamotors.com, a tesla car can go about 265 miles on one charge, so if you add 33 percent (or whatever it might do) thats about another 75, 80 miles per charge (minus a few miles because of the extra weight)

By the way, if you know, could you tell me some of the more detailed reasons why.

Thanks for answering by the way

http://www.pluginamerica.org/faq/can-electric-vehicles-self-charge

That link sort of explains it, but basically the drag of the generator might create 30 amps, but it would slow the axle down by a factor so great, that it would then need 140amps to drive it, and you end up using more energy than you are generating.

mymutter

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
It would take more power to turn the generator / alternator then it would produce.

This is why regenerative braking is so cool, you have to brake anyways, so why not have it make more reserve power.