New Build - High Pitch Whine Under Specific Circumstance

WestonG

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hello,

I built a new PC on Friday and have spent the past couple of days updating windows, downloading drivers and tweaking, overclocking, benchmarking etc.

I just got to the point where I am happy with my overclocks and everything seems stable. However, I have encountered certain instances of high pitched whining - almost a squeak. Strangely, I can consistently recreate this sound under certain circumstance.

One instance is in the title screen of Total War: Rome II - Emperor Edition. And the other is only for a second after I click exit in Valley Benchmark. I can run the Rome II and Valley benchmark fine with no whine the whole time. I can also run Battlefield 4, Dragon age Inquisition, Furmark and Prime95 without encountering the sound. So far only under the specific circumstance described have I been able to recreate the sound.

I've had a listen inside my case and it's fairly difficult to pinpoint the origin of the sound. However it does seem more pronounced when I put my ear to the back of the PSU. I can touch the motherboard VRMs whilst gaming and there warm but not hot.

All the games/benchmarks I've tested perform well and I am Prime95 and Furmark stable with good temps. All my drivers are up to date, as is windows. The only other issue I have encountered that may be related was battlefield causing a blue screen with the error message: "whea_uncorrectable_error"

I researched this error but the impression I got was that 101 things could cause it. I ran CHKDSK, Windows Memory Diagnostic, SFC and then flashed my Bios. No blue screen since then.

I'm leaning toward the PSU not handling high load well but I don't understand why such specific circumstance triggers it when Prime95 and Furmark do not.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Below is a list of my core components and a couple of images depicting my hardware info, overclocks and load temps in Prime95 and Furmark.

Hardware:

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3
CPU - i5-4690K @ 4200MHz
GPU - Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X OC @ 1100MHz core 1500MHz memory
Memory - 8GB Kingson Hyper-X Genesis Dual Channel @ 1600MHz C9
HDD - Hitachi Deskstar 500GB 7200RPM
PSU - EVGA 600B

CPU info during Prime95 and GPU info during Furmark: http://