PC laptops and/or tablets/hybrid recommendations for a graphic designer?

joycreative

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015
I'm a Mac guy but I'm looking to get a PC laptop or tablet/hybrid. I'm mainly going to be using it for Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) at first but want to add Adobe CC in the future. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of PC I should invest in? A couple things to know: my budget is under $1000; the tablet/hybrid (detachable) models would also work great with another type of work that I do; if I could get a tablet/hybrid instead of a laptop that would really help me (not sure if tablets can handle Adobe products though); if I can't get a tablet are there descent PC laptops under $1000 that perform well working with Adobe CC? I'm continuing to research but any pros out there who have experience with this, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I'd recommend this, and ignore the fact that it says "gaming" laptop, unless of course you game, as this unit has the best specs for under a grand of any unit on the market.

i7 with 4 cores and 8 threads (Most mobile i7's are only dual core with two additional hyperthreads), 16GB of RAM, GTX 860M discreet graphics (So none of the CC applications will have any issues with 3D or other capability.), 1TB hard drive with 8GB SSD cache.

You'll probably find reports of the Y50 (And pretty much every single other "gaming" laptop) having some heat issues. These issues only occur, if at all, when people use them to game at Ultra settings and most the time they are on units where the power profile has been set to active or otherwise have...
I'd recommend this, and ignore the fact that it says "gaming" laptop, unless of course you game, as this unit has the best specs for under a grand of any unit on the market.

i7 with 4 cores and 8 threads (Most mobile i7's are only dual core with two additional hyperthreads), 16GB of RAM, GTX 860M discreet graphics (So none of the CC applications will have any issues with 3D or other capability.), 1TB hard drive with 8GB SSD cache.

You'll probably find reports of the Y50 (And pretty much every single other "gaming" laptop) having some heat issues. These issues only occur, if at all, when people use them to game at Ultra settings and most the time they are on units where the power profile has been set to active or otherwise have altered the CPU power scheme to disallow the CPU being underclocked by the system. Normal or workstation use should have no similar effects. I've worked with several of these units and have never experienced any adverse issues with the cooling system, at all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317542

Not to mention Lenovo has outstanding quality and a very good record when it comes to customer service.

Solution

joycreative

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015

Wow this looks amazing! Just checked it out and saw the videos. Thanks darkbreeze for pointing me in this direction. I'll continue to do some research but when it comes time to invest I will definitely look in this direction first! Thank you!