Dual monitors - both screen goes black after plugging second one in

eku154

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
Hi,

Built a new PC. My GPU is Sapphire Tri-X r9 290.

Everything was smooth for 3-4 days after finishing the build then I started having issues with the desktop screen flashing blue (almost like it is refreshing) multiple times.

I read this was an issue with the drivers, so I uninstalled catalyst control centre and tried to re-install the newest version. I was having issues installing the new version and for some reason, it wouldn't install because I had dual monitors going. So I tried it again with only a single monitor plugged in and it installed succesfully. So then I tried to plug-in my second monitor after the install, and both my screen goes black and its stuck like that. If I restart my computer with both monitors already plugged in, it's fine. But if I unplug the second monitor while my computer is on and then try to plug it back in, both screens will go black once again.

One monitor is plugged in through DVI-D, and the other through DVI-D dual link on the same graphics card.

Please help!

Thanks.

eku154

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
I have the dual-link cable set up for the right monitor.

Anyway, it seems I fixed it. Just switched the ports the two cables were connected to. I'm not sure why that worked but it did.