CPU Buying advice

Darkjo

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
Hey, I'm just looking for some suggestion/advice and maybe some personal experience from people regarding 3 different processors: i5 4690k, i7 4790k, FX 8350

I'm planning to build a personal machine over the summer, but I'm not sure which of these processors to get. The i5 and FX are within my budget, however I don't mind stretching it "saving" for the i7 if that would help me with giving me more headroom for multitasking and doing some 3d rendering Note: I'm still a novice with 3d rendering, but would like to start getting into it and learning the ropes!

I did some research and the main things I will be using recommend the AMD FX 8350 with at least 16gb of RAM or higher but I guess my question is which CPU would give me the best experience in performance overall especially heavy multitasking (running a lot of background processes, lots of browser tabs, a game or two running in the background and switching between games and programs frequently, working on school work/Skype probably having YouTube running in the background for tutorials and Podcasts I listen to while working) I tried Blender on the current computer I'm running with an Athlon II x2 240 with a crappy Foxconn mobo "cheapo"

My computer occasionally caps out at 100 percent cpu load just by browsing on the internet and having an mmo like Maple Story running in the background lol it gets kinda frustrating at times when I'm trying to scroll a page and I have to close a few of my tabs or restart the browser so I'm hoping I could change that with a new system entirely.

Oh, one more thing I loved testing out game mods and playing emulators (dolphin, epsxe, pcsx2) hope I got them right haha, it's been since 2010 since I got into emulators but I would love to get back into them again back then they ran pretty choppy but I manage to make them playable at least in most cases depending on where I'm at in the game... I heard emulators are one tough cookie to play smoothly, but anything better than 15 fps what I was getting back then I'd be more than happy to give it a try again!

anyways if you have any of these cpus, what are your experience with them?

How were your temps (stock) and overclocks? what was the experience like with these chips and did you gain a significant boost in games or overall performance?

How are the integrated graphics with intel's HD graphics are they enough to get by until you get a discrete GPU? did you find hyper-threating on i7 processors useful in your experience, do you notice the difference in applications and games personally?

What CPU cooler are you using now for your build?

Lastly, why did you go with your processor in your build or computer purchase?

PS: I apologize in advance for the long post lol talking about computers peeks my interest despite me having some outdated parts, coughs (gt 220) oh! and I have a feeling these cpus I mention are overkill but I think that's what I'm looking for to be honest

I just want to put the parts in my system and forget about it for awhile till I need "mo-performance!"

HomerThompson

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
My answer would be none of the above, since unlocked Broadwell chips will probably be out by then. You definitely want Intel for running emulators since they're usually not very parallelized and thus need very strong single core performance.