Monitor goes black while installing graphics card driver

egotts1

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
I bought a new PC from Cyberpower and noticed that the drivers for the Video Card (EVGA gtx 970 FTW) were not installed. I tried installing them a few times but each time the monitor would go black and its power LED would show sleep mode. The computer seemed to keep functioning but there was nothing displayed. I forced shutdown after a few minutes and when I restarted it it would either go black after bios or it would start windows but show a problem with the drivers. I tried uninstalling all drivers with DDU and then reinstalling only the graphics driver (and nothing else in the installation menu) but I had the same result. I tried installing from safe mode but when I would restart the computer in regular mode I would get the same result.

Specs:
MOBO - Gigabyte Z97-D3H
SSD - Adata SP610 256GB
MEMORY - ADATA XPG V3 2x 4GB DDR3 2133
CPU - I5-4690
PSU - APEVIA 800 WATT .
Video Card - EVGA GEFORCE GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 4GB
OS - Windows 8.1 64 bit

Neur0nauT

Admirable
How are you connecting the display to the card? Via HDMI? Have you attempted to connect via any other display input?

Within bios, make sure that you have the PCIe slot set as primary rather than onboard VGA (if any)

I would contact Cyper Power... as it is strange that the drivers were not installed on a pre-built system. This might suggest a faulty card. Or your motherboard may require an update to the bios.

egotts1

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Connecting via DVI and PCIe is set as primary. I actually had to reinstall windows when I got the computer as it refused to boot up normally. It kept telling me that windows did not install properly. I also had to but a new CPU cooler as the stock one was broken.

Neur0nauT

Admirable

It sounds like they may have had a different graphics card installed in the system before Windows was installed then. Maybe an AMD card. Also, the cooler was broken!! I'd be getting on the phone to them! Sounds like bad service from them.

egotts1

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015

I tried calling. First time I was on hold for an hour then I received an automated message that they are closing and someone will call back. I tried calling yesterday and the line was busy no matter which of their numbers I called. I emailed them and am waiting for a response. Figured you guys might be able to help faster than them. thanks.

Neur0nauT

Admirable

That sucks. At least if you email them you might get a response. I would tell them you are expecting a full refund, or you will be enlisting advice from the consumers advice bureau, as it was not sold as expected. That'll make them sit up and listen.