1440p vs 4k gaming

11sphere92

Distinguished
Hi guys, i got my rig's below and now im going to need your suggestion.
So at this moment i only got 1080p,
And my MSI GTX 970 is broken.
So i got 2 choices
1st. Get a new GTX 970
2nd. Exchange those to graphic card i want(GTX 980 / R9 290x, which i need to pay the difference)

Now im stuck to choose between gaming in 4k or 1440p.

Im on Asia, exactly on Indonesia which makes the high end monitor more expensive.

Other things i might consider NVIDIA Gsync (Which they ain't had in 4k Gaming), so i might get R9 290x for 4k.

I might later on the road SLi / Crossfire the graphic card i choose.
So what you guys think, which one is better. Going 4k gaming route / 1440p.

Would love to see the monitor recommendation.
At these 3 months i might save like 1500 bucks for upgrading the Monitor and adding new graphcard.

modern cards are only BARELY able to handle in 4k, single card cannot sustain solid 30fps at high settings, and SLI/crossfire will only guarantee you 40fps or so. this will only get worse in the coming years. so I recommend 1440p.

That is, unless you're willing to wait for an AMD R9 300 series launch sometime late march or early april.

11sphere92

Distinguished
Thanks for the recommendation.
Is there any monitor you would recommend other than ROG Swift PG278Q?
Would love to see any gsync monitor.

Also about 4k, i got someone who play 4k gaming and get 40-60 fps at ultra settings (Single R9 290x) IGN : -Lone- (As you may know him on this forum)

Brillis Wuce

Distinguished
I would get your 970 replaced, and invest in a 1440p monitor. The 970 will power a thatr for a while, and when it gets sluggish, invest in another 970 for SLI. As vmem mentioned above, 4K is kind of a pointless pursuit right now, so go for 1440p.

11sphere92

Distinguished
I think it had problem with the heat pipe on the GPU. Also my memory had some kind of issues (Even i did exchange it to the new one)

I never turn off my computer even once(only if its already 2 months i might turn off for half a day)

So here is the story, iFifa15 and h1z1 lag, stuttering, freeze(Stop for like 3secs than goes on again)
Before i go to the tech which is exactly around 6days after not turning off, i benchmark with unigine valley. The scored turns out to 3.300 (Which the normal one on 1080p is 4,400)

I was like !@#*(@%^#*@!$^. And then i go to the tech, show my freeze on fifa 15 etc. And try to benchmark. Guess what happen? the score turns out became 4350 (With same unigine heaven valley)

was more shocked. But, as far as we benchmarked again. The score keep going down until 4000 (This goes on like for 2 hours testing)

After that we decide to lend the RAM to Kingston predator, and get a brand new GTX 970. Score is around 4270 min - 4390 max. I tried fifa 15, all is well also.

Now i already give back the RAM, and using my old corsair. The lag on fifa 15 cames back, but no Freeze, stuttering. (FYI : Got BSOD also with this ram, "Memory Dump")

So is it possible that GPU + RAM is broken? or its only the RAM?

11sphere92

Distinguished

Thanks for the suggestion. But FYI the 1440p Cost much more than going 4k Route, why?

4k Route :
Change to R9 290x (Which i only add like 10 bucks, get a 4k monitor that cost 600bucks, which cost 610)

1440p Route :
Change to GTX 980 (Which i add 150 bucks, get a 1440p monitor ROG cost 950 bucks in my country, or lower asus as bruce said that cost 700 bucks, total 850bucks)

caj

Distinguished
no offense but dont you think you kinda pushing your computer a waay too much. i mean they all have wear and tear. switching off ur system when it isnt need will save u electricity plus prolong your rigs life a way longer

caj

Distinguished
getting a 4k monitor isnt the problem. getting a gpu to pull the respectable fps at 4k, NOW THATS THE PROB. the 290x and 970 or 980 can easily pull good fps at 1440p. btw i dnt believe in ROG, to me they jus tad fancies hyped and overpriced. any simple 1440p monitor would be good. oh btw a 290x alone wont pull good fps & 4k

caj

Distinguished
the gtx can stand the heat. all gpu are tested and certified. it jus depends which manfacturers 3rd party your using. but ther will always be faulty cards. ex of good cooling are asus(direct cu) , msi(twin frozer) evga(acx2.0)

caj

Distinguished
sorry but your comparing DA:I. DAI isnt a graphic intensive game. try crysis 3, far cry 3/4, assasin creed, arma 3 or bioshock infinite, hitman absolution or metro last light. try hitin 60 fps @ 4k then we shall see. oh btw ur msaa is off which i relised

-Lone-

Admirable

If you game at 4k, you would already know AA is absolutely unnecessary.

And have I mentioned I can get 60 fps in every single game in the world? No I did not.

FYI, "good fps" depends on each person, with a single 290x, I can get 40-60 or higher in games like FC4, Sleeping Dogs, Fable Anniversary. If your definition of good fps is constant 60 fps, then obviously it won't meet your needs. For some the fps I'm getting is pretty acceptable for them. Considering the 290x is kinda old compare to the new gtx 980, it is doing pretty good with just a single GPU at those settings. I'm just trying to say using a single GPU is not as unplayable as you make it sound.

how long are you able to wait?

I ask because AMD's R9 300 series is right around the corner. a R9 390x will definately be the best option for 4k, while it will also cause a price drop for the gtx 980. Looking at the rumors, it'll probably hit around the end of March or early April