Crystaldisk.info returned BAD on new HDD

alexjp101

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Toshiba Satellite ..Windows 7 x86 .
Crystal disks has returned a "Bad" on a brand new 500Gb spinpoint hard drive. The reason being is Reallocated Sector count....1(current) 1 (Worst) 51 (threshold) 00000000017F (Raw)
Should I be worried?

thnks
Alex

Hi there alexjp101,

You will need to contact the manufacturer's support and RMA the drive as there is no way to fix that. In case you have some data on it, you need to back it up as soon as possible.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

alexjp101

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
The seller is asking "did i initialise the disk". The answer is no . Should I have ? If I do a fresh install of Windows after running diskpart will this solve the problem?

alex

Is this your primary or secondary drive? If it is a new secondary drive, you will need to initialize, partition and format it. Though, I don't think this has much to do with bad sectors.
If it is your primary HDD and you already have Windows installed on it, fresh install will not solve the issue.
You can test it with another tool and see whether you get similar results.

D_Know_WD

alexjp101

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
This is the primary hdd with windows installed on it. working well ...apart from the Windows imminent drive failure warning. :¬((

alexjp101

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
I am very confused now. I have just replaced the above mentioned disk, formatted another (old ) hdd and done a fresh install of windows on it (same laptop).
Crystall disks is reporting as "Caution" with 100 reallocated sector count. Can someone please explain why 100 reallocated sectors only warrants a "Caution2 whilst on the other hdd 1 warrants a "bad" ?

alexjp101

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
What do the raw values signify? Many thanks for your ongoing help. If I tkae the raw value and convert it to decimal what does that number relate to/

Alex

alexjp101

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Thank you so much for all your help. I have just formatted the drive and it will soon be winging its way back. I just hope the replacement is ok :¬))

Alex