transfer OS and data from SSD to HDD

biofoxes

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
i have a 56GB SSD where i have my OS, anti-virus, as well as folders with pictures and all that good stuff. i also have a 1TB HDD which is where i have all of my steam games installed.

my SSD is running out of storage (only has 13GB free) due to all of the windows updates. i've already been running disk cleanup and ccleaner to make the most of my storage, but i think the time has come to transfer my OS and data to a different drive.

installing the OS in a small capacity drive was a bad move- now i know.

i was wondering if i could copy the contents from my SSD over to my existing HDD without losing any data?

also, another option i've been considering is buying another drive and transferring the contents onto that one instead.

is there any difference between either option?

my question is: what's the best way of going about this while preventing data loss?

i'm pretty new to all of this so simplistic terms would be appreciated, and thanks for any feedback!

biofoxes

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

that was my preferred choice- glad to hear that! i'll definitely add that to my list, thanks for the heads up.

so then "cloning" is the term for what i want to do, correct? that's what i'll search for a step-by-step. thanks!