Multiple Processors vs. Multiple Cores - Running Adobe programs and 3d S Max at the same time

tpedroza

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
Hi,

I've searched all over for specific answers to specific questions and have only found muddy responses. Hope you all can help.

I'm working with my IT guy to build a new system that I will use for work. I work primarily with Adobe programs, especially Photoshop, Illustrator, and often InDesign. I also use 3d Studio Max to model and render product designs for customers. Currently, when I render in 3dsMax, my computer is pretty much done for until the rendering is completed. Nothing else can be done.

The goal for the new system is to be able to hit the render button in Max then go back into Photoshop and Illustrator and work on other projects while Max is rendering. Is this a pipe dream?

After reading a lot of forums I was under the impression that when I'm rendering a scene in Max, that the cores of processor are dividing up workload (Multi Thread is checked in the Customize settings). I find conflicting reports about whether the GPU is doing the rendering or the CPU Cores are doing the rendering. It also seems that in the past it was one way, but now it's transitioning the other way... like I said, everything has gotten a bit muddy.

My IT guy believes (and maybe he's right) that there are 2 options.

-Dual Processors (both dual core?), one processor assigned to handle the rendering while the other allows my computer to function without much slowdown, and hopefully still be able to use Photoshop/Illustrator.
-One processor with multiple cores (6 or8?), with most of the cores assigned to Max to render and the other cores for the computer to use, and I'm assuming this relies more on the GPU to handle Photoshop and Illustrator.

Which is the way to go? There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinion and no definitive answer on what Max uses to render, and what the best setup would be for this situation.

Sorry for the book. I'm a artist and not much of a tech guy. I'm just tired of sifting through all the crap and am hoping for a clearer answer.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and especially thanks for a clear answer!

:)

1. If your computer stops responding when you render then it is probably maxing your CPU.
2. 3ds max uses both cpu and gpu, but may not use the gpu unless configured to do so.
3. If you have accurately represented your IT guy's suggestions, then he doesn't know what he is talking about: two dual-core CPUs is a terrible idea.
4. The best possible hardware layout depends on what your budget is. The more cores you can get the better, but by default, 3ds max will use all of them. You can use a 3rd party tool to keep it from using all cores.
5. All other things being equal, a single cpu will outperform 2 cpus if they have the same total number of cores, e.g, an 8 core cpu will outperform 2 quad core cpus.
6. Your system performance is also likely suffering from a storage bottleneck unless you have multiple drives/ssds.
7. Photoshop and Illustrator really don't use the GPU for any significant processing.

tpedroza

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
Sounds great. Thanks!

I talked about this with the IT guy and it definitely cleared some stuff up. Thanks for the help and the clear answers!

How about just two computers, one for 3d max, other for other work. You can run photoshop well with any mid range system with 8 gig of RAM, or just use your existing system for that and get a faster on for 3d max.