Should I use 40'' TV as a monitor?

Vazio

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
I have about $500 and I want to upgrade my pc (I have somd old parts that are still useful). And the monitor I would get is 19 in 1600x900 ,5ms,and 60hz monitor which is about $80 (1080p monitor would be $100 or more). Now if I will get a monitor, I'd have to downgrade my rig,but it's still pretty decent (i3 4150,8gb ram, hd 7850 1gb).Now of course, I have a TV in my living room, so I was thinking why don't use TV for monitor and spend my money on the components and get the best out of it, but I don't know if that's a good idea though so I want to ask the comunity.

*This might not be necessary but I'm gonna get a new pc to become a youtuber. (Edit,record gameplay etc)

TV is only really good as a monitor for games, and for watching video.

For most other general computing, such as web surfing, email or word processing, the TV is pretty dismal as a monitor. This is because TV's are not optimized for text, and it will be difficult to use.

Vazio

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
@digitaldoc,

That isn't a problem for me though because I have smart phone that I can read email,surfing on internet,and read txt if necessary.So, should I go with high end and a TV?