Please help me choose a 4k Monitor for gaming.

davidarad02

Admirable
the dell one you chose, is a 30Hz panel - NOT GOOD FOR GAMING. on the other hand, the acer one is one of the best gaming monitors out there right now, because its 4k, G-Sync, and none of that 30Hz nonsense.
if you have a nvidia GPU, then that is the way to go. if you have an AMD GPU, then something like the ASUS PB287Q would be a great choice.
btw, ASUS has launched their new RoG SWIFT (PG27AQ), which is basically the same as acer one, but it has thinner bezels, and that RoG theme to it (which i personally like). i dont know how much it will cost, but if you want the RoG theme, then you can wait until it is available for retail purchase.

Ali977

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014

thanks a lot man! :D

davidarad02

Admirable

thats basically the best 4k panel on the market, until the RoG swift launches for retail (It will be the same thing as the acer one - g-sync, 4k, 60Hz ect.), but will have the RoG theme (it will look exactly like the original RoG swift).
its also 27" compared to the 28" the acer offers, if you care.

Ali977

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014

but they have exactly the same specs, the acer is even bigger,right?

davidarad02

Admirable

there are 2 versions of the RoG swift.
the original: its 27", 1440p, 144Hz and G-Sync.
the new one: announced in CES 2015 and not yet available for retail, but it is 27", 4k, 60Hz and G-Sync.

the acer monitor is basically the new RoG swift, but 1" larger.

Ali977

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
they look almost the same? should i just go with acer instead for waiting for the asus??

davidarad02

Admirable
look, they are ALMOST the same. its just that 1". i say get the acer now, so you can enjoy its huge gaming experience improvement (over v-sync) that it offers, and dont wait for the RoG swift, as i dont know when it is going to be available.
if you care about the looks of the monitor, so look at the pictures:
RoG swift (its the original model but they look exactly the same):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405&cm_re=rog_swift-_-24-236-405-_-Product
Acer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G2HZ2690&cm_re=acer_4k_g-sync-_-24-009-658-_-Product

Ali977

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014

the asus looks slightly better, but acer is 1' bigger, i cant find anywhere if any of them have built in speakers ?

Eggz

Distinguished

Umm, not true at all

(Click quote for link to official Dell specs)

The Dell will actually have much better color and image quality, especially the viewing angles. While the Acer is fast, it's better only if you have an Nvidia GPU and don't really want to do anything that needs accurate color on your monitor.

Ali977

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014

i got evga 970 sli, but is TN good or ips is better?

davidarad02

Admirable

the title of the post says "Please help me choose a 4k Monitor for gaming." - so even tho IPS is beautiful, G-Sync is the way to go for gaming.

davidarad02

Admirable

since you have NVIDIA GPUs, G-Sync is the way.

Ali977

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014

all i do on my pc, is surfing internet , gaming and doing some work? so i dont think I need insane colors? but is TN close to IPS or far worse?

Eggz

Distinguished
It's a sticky question now. IPS is hands down a much better looking panel type, but Gsync ensures smooth game play even when the game is going a little slow - important for 4K. Even though you have two powerful cards, that many pixels can easily make them seem slow.

You'll just have to assess whether you will be gaming on this, and that's about it, or whether you'd like to have a more well rounded system. Acer for gaming or bust; otherwise, Dell.

You could always just get both :)

davidarad02

Admirable

IPS is mainly for people that want the best possible colour reproduction and best overall look and viewing angles. since most games sit in one place, that viewing angles thing isn't that important. also, TN monitors have less response time, and variable refresh rates (what G-Sync does).

Ali977

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014

no need for both haha, but if you were in my position you would go with the acer, correct?

davidarad02

Admirable

I would go with the Acer, as G-Sync will most benefit you in gaming.

Eggz

Distinguished
If I were in your positions, I might just save some money and wait for the Asus ROG 4k Swift. It's a UHD Gsync with an IPS panel. There's no technical tradeoff there. The only downside would be the higher price, but the new 4K Swift won't come out for a couple months, so that's where the saving comes in.

But if I needed something now, then I'd calculate how much time I spend doing various things. Like if I had another computer with an IPS monitor for photo editing (assuming you do that), then I'd definitely get the Acer - no question. But if I just did a few hours of gaming here and there, but mostly used my computer for other things, then the Dell would win out.

Have you played with demanding games and compared the difference between Vsync on and Vsync off?

On a 60 Hz monitor, dropping below 60 fps with Vsync on makes the game s-s-stutter; above 60 is smooth. But if you turn Vsync off, then you get really ugly tears. Gsync eliminates that tradeoff entirely, so you have smooth, tear-free games even below 60 fps. Great technology. It's even better, however, on an IPS panel :)

Here's a link to it as displayed at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this past January: http://rog.asus.com/393642015/gaming-monitors/ces-2015-rog-swift-pg27aq-27-inch-4k-lcd-with-gsync/

Linus from Linus Tech Tips also did a quick video on it while he was there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QiQ6y1jJ5A

Ali977

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014

yep didnt no asus one was ips, i already have money saved but ill wait for it, hope its under 1000$ tbh which i highly doubt

davidarad02

Admirable

the new RoG swift is not IPS. ASUS launched 2 different monitors. a 1440p IPS 144Hz display AND the new RoG swift.