Choppy Video from Document Files - Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series

RMXStudio

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
Hello people,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 from the 3000 series (DVD drive included) with Windows 7 and everything up-to-date as I am aware. If anything isn't up-to-date, I currently don't know of it or haven't been able to accurately check.

Anyway, the problem isn't with Youtube videos, Netflix, or anything streamed.

It's actual with mp4 videos that are in my documents.

Apparently, that's not a common problem, since most people complain about streaming issues. Anyway, I have no problem with anything online or streaming, but the instant the video is actually in my documents files, they become choppy and unwatchable. The music to the video plays just fine, but the actual video cannot be watched because of all of the glitching and problems. Sometimes it will play a little smoother if you let it glitch for a while, then go back in the video and watch over the part where it was going slow. The video is smooth then for a moment before freezing again and generally being unwatchable.

I really don't know what the problem with this is, and insight would be extremely beneficial.

Thank you ahead of time.

Only in My Documents, or anywhere on your hard drive? It's possible that your hard drive is either slow or overloaded with other activity.

Another possibility that comes to mind is that the videos on the hard drive are higher bitrate than the machine can handle while the streamed ones are of a lesser bitrate. Does the machine play video well from a thumb drive or the DVD drive? If so, can you burn these particular files to a thumb drive or DVD and see if they play cleanly? If they do, that would isolate the problem to the hard drive.

What's the source of these mp4 files?

RMXStudio

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015

I'm not sure about videos anywhere on my harddrive, since the only place I have any videos is in my documents folder.

I don't know what it would be overloaded with, but perhaps that's something. Seems kind of weird, considering I got the computer like this from Dell.

The videos that I have on my computer currently are from the internet. I've scanned my computer several times, and I have no virus. Perhaps it is the bitrate, because I attempted to play two videos from a flash drive, and while one of them, with a bitrate of 5343kbps, had the glitch, the other, with 4521kbps, did not.

The problem with that is one of the videos that are kept on my computer that glitch the most only goes at 3007kbps. I moved it to my flash drive to see if that would smooth it out, but it didn't.

That being said, I've played maybe two rented movies from DVDs on this computer, and they didn't glitch up at all.

Does it perhaps have something to do with the graphics or something? I mean, it's only the image of the video that gets messed up, not the music or sound from it. At this point, I'm really not sure.

I don't know, but at least you've established that it's tied to particular files, not files in a particular location. And that it's not higher bitrate vs. lower bitrate.

Not my field of specialty, but I'd suggest running the hardware monitor and seeing if one of your CPUs is pegged at 100%, or if the graphics card is pegged at 100%. Take a few files that stutter on your machine on a USB stick to someone else's and see if they play cleanly.

Not much I can think of to help you; sorry.