Is the i5 4670k THAT much better than the FX 6350?

simonmd

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
Ok, please help stop my head hurting! I've read so much about Intel vs AMD, I can probably quote most of the reviews and overall, all things being equal, the i5 is clearly the best of the two.

However, in 2015, is it really THAT much better? By that I mean, the AMD is on average less than HALF the price of the Intel, which to me seems a bit crazy. Of course its better, its twice the money! So, a real 'world comparison' here, is it twice the chip? Somehow I doubt it.

For reference, the reason I'm looking is my old MB has died and I'm looking to upgrade to a MB/cpu combo that will last another 5 years. I do want a machine that will be good at games but all I'm asking is that it plays them, I don't need it to break records.

gloryofthesky

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
I'm a big fan of Intel here. However I can tell you, you get the most bang for your buck with AMD!

Nothing is wrong with AMD or Intel. Both make awesome chips.

What are you trying to do? Gaming, 3D work?

Heres a comparison of the two chips. - http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-vs-AMD-FX-6350

In my opinion, I would go with AMD but with the FX 8320. Its 135$, so like 10$ more and you get way more performance. Check out the comparison at CPU Boss.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-vs-AMD-FX-8320

Also might want to check out the FX 8350. http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-vs-AMD-FX-8350

What games are you going to be playing? There won't be much of a real world difference. Most games use GPU, not so much CPU.

con635

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Sometimes you see the difference sometimes you just wont, the most important question is your gpu eg if your playing bf4 at 1080p on a hd7750 then no, there's no difference, do you like single core dx9 games like arma2? Then yes, there's a difference, will the fx6350 actually play arma2? Certainly, my brothers play dayz mod on oc'd athlon x4s quite smoothly.

simonmd

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
Thanks for the input so far, it's good to read something that doesn't say "BUY THE i5, ITS INVINCIBLE!" I have quite a varied taste when it comes to games, I like the 1st person shooter stuff especially (in fact I built my present PC 5 years ago specifically so I could play Crysis for example) but I'm also a big fan of simulation type games, Flight Simulator, Train Simulator and various city sim titles like SimCity, Cities in Motion, etc, etc. and I know these can be pretty CPU hungry. My old rig was an i7 920, clocked to 3200 and although its over 5 years old, it still coped pretty well so basically, any improvement on that will be good.

simonmd

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
I'd love to but have you tried to get a socket 1366 motherboard lately? Pretty much ALL the major online retailers have stopped doing them so all I have is taking a chance on Ebay. I'd be paying about £150 for something that is 7 year old tech, that's why I'm looking at moving up to the current gen' so my PC can (hopefully) last another 5 years.