Thinking to get 8.1 over 7, is it better than Win 7?

G

Hi,
i'm using Windows 7 64bit right now but, i don't if it is a good idea to install 8.1.
It is better?
What benefits can i have?

Or should i keep Win 7?

Upgrading from windows 7 to windows 8 is a great idea, IF your looking to waste $100+ dollars. They basically do the same things, except that 8 adds a crappy interface, a second unnecessary crappy API, removed several useful features for no reason, pretends it boots faster by hibernating and calling it a shutdown, removes the start menu for no reason, can be harder to install/upgrade because of abizarre service pack upgrade scheme, can't change your network type once it's set without a registry edit, etc, etc...........

On the plus side, some older games do go native 4:3 without coaxing,which is nice. Also, moving OEM licenses is officially ok with 8. It's also cheaper than any previous version of windows, adjusted for inflation.

IF I was starting from scratch, I might go with 8, only because it's cheaper than 7. But it's not worth it to upgrade. It's the exact same OS with a bunch of useless and/or counterproductive crap piled on.

Saif Uv

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014

Are you 100% sure that 8.1 hibernates instead of shutting down ??
Doesnt that supposed to damage your motherboard or any other component if you always hibernate instead of shutting down.??
Im also currently using 7 and thinking to upgrade to 8.1 .
sorry if this is Noobish question.

^ it hibernates (called fast boot) by default.
This can be disabled though I have no idea why you'd want to if you use your Pc daily (mine pulls 0.2w at the plug in this state)

Install classicshell & 8ballgadgets (both free) & to all intents & purposes it will look & behave the same as windows 7.The default start & tabs screen is awful compared to win 7 IMO.
There's no doubt its a better os behind the scenes than win 7.

Yes, I'm sure. Actually is a "hybrid hibernation" mode. And it's buggy. It frequently causes a black screen with mouse pointer issue. You can turn it off, but most people don't even know it's there.

Edit: Madmatt, you would want to shut it off because it's buggy. Every single windows 8 system I have worked on in person has experienced that black screen issue a described earlier. EVERY SINGLE ONE! Some more than once. Might as well turn it off and really hibernate if you want to hibernate it.

I recently purchased a windows 8 laptop for my wife. She was using an older windows 7 laptop before. She hated it. I even had classic shell installed so it handled more like 7 and she STILL hated. And the new system was twice as fast as the old one. She is refusing to use it until I install 7. And yes, windows 8 interface sucks that badly.

G

Highly recommend upgrading to Windows 8/8.1.

Purchasing Windows 8 is a great idea and all the bad parts of windows 8 have pretty much been ironed out in Windows 8.1 (which is now a free update from windows 8)

Windows 8.1 runs faster and more efficiently, I personally prefer the interface now that I have got used to it.

But no matter what I say or your opinions on Windows 8.1 you have to take into consideration that if you buy Windows 8 you will FREE upgrade to Windows 10 when it is released. Even if you dislike Windows 8.1 the free upgrade is worth it as you will most likely have to purchase windows 10 to replace 7 once it comes out (which will be considerably more)

To summarize Phillips post, he likes black licorice, so he recommends it to everyone else. He also doesn't read Microsoft press releases which state that windows 7 users are also eligible for the free windows 10 update. He is also the only person I have encountered that thinks windows 8 is "faster and more efficient". Even people who like it don't think that. It's exact same OS with different bells and whistles.

Of course 8.1 if free. ITS A SERVICE PACK, Microsoft couldn't even get that part straight.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Lol... and here I thought I was the only one that hated Win8, 8.1, 10. Yeah, tried the Win 10 Release Candidate. Still not ready for prime time IMO. I really can't find a reason to give up Win7. Easier to use, works smoother, bug-free, interface doesn't look like my damn phone... And if there's any serious improvement in gaming, I couldn't see it.

I hated windows 8 at first admittedly,I sorted my uncle out a new laptop before xmas as his old windows 7 model failed on him -bear in mind he's 74 & not exactly computer literate.
Before that new laptop arrived & I started moving stuff from his old one to the new I had never used windows 8 - I had to spend time installing classicshell & gadget packs to make it run as much like windows 7 as possible.Like falcon says above with his wife not wanting to use a new windows 8 setup it would have been worse for him - he quite literally would have been completely lost with the windows tab screen,no start menu etc.
Once you have set it up it is really virtually indistinguishable from win 7 though imo.H's happy enough with it anyway.
It is definitely more responsive,less memory intensive,does run some games better than windows 7- that is pretty much it though admittedly,the start tab screen is a nightmare admittedly & an incredibly bad idea by MS.
My sole reason for upgrading my own pc to windows 8.1 were pretty much,
1.I got offered a legit windows 8 upgrade key for $10
2.Farcry 4 would not work on my setup at all with windows 7,after hearing 2 reports of windows 8 sorting this problem & the fact it was dirt cheap I upgraded.
It sorted the 4 problem straight away,its now pretty much indistinguishable ( even to me) from my previous windows 7 install.
Would I pay full price to upgrade it if I was currently happy with my windows 7 performance - a straight no - its quite simply not worth it for the money.
I also would not recommmend anyone doing the windows 7 update to windows 8,then to windows 8.1 - that took the best part of 2 days & is an absolute fkn nightmare - failed updates galore,rollbacks on boot,having to install updates manually 2 & 3 at a time is no fun at all.
If youre going windows 8.1 then just do a straight fresh install

G

Your correct Windows 7 users also get the upgrade to Windows 10, My apologies. However in my personal opinion I have found Windows 8 to run faster on my machine than what Windows 7 did, Especially when booting. I must admit I hated windows 8 when it came out, I didn't like how it was trying to incorporate touch screen devices and many good features were removed. However after the patch/upgrade to 8.1 some features from windows 7 returned and poor aspects of the OS were changed. My first comment may have been a bit OTT on Windows 8 but that is only because I have used both OS's for significant amount of time and found after time that i prefer windows 8.1.

Thank you for pointing out that Windows 7 users also get the upgrade as that was something I had missed.

G

Apologies, When reading your comment it came across a bit condescending and didn't feel very helpful. The whole point of the forum is to get multiple views and they should all form to make one answer with plenty of positives and negatives and a final result. Again I apologise for my reaction and if misinterpreted your comment, I have since updated my comment.

G

Ultimately unless you want to upgrade to the latest software on your current build there isn't much need as you will eventually get a free upgrade to Windows 10 (As pointed out FALC0N). Windows 8.1 has been an improvement for some but not all and especially not those who love using Windows 7.

However if you are planning on formatting or building a new PC and you have the spare cash I would personally recommend the upgrade, I have found that Windows 8.1 has had a significant performance boost on my PC especially in boot times and it has found to run better with some of the newer games (although I am sure it will also have a negative effect on some games).

I hope this helps.