CPU Fan/PC Overheating game

kweston

Honorable
Feb 18, 2015
Hello everyone, This is my first post on these forums so if I am breaking any rules first off please let me know.

Hello everyone, This is my first post on these forums so if I am breaking any rules first off please let me know.
I bought this Pre-Built PC of PC Case Gear online about a week ago

PC Link: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

And I have absolutely loved it so far, I have only really played a game called "Runescape" until today I thought I would get on Steam and buy a game.. I ended up buying Dead Island

When I started playing it I noticed the fan (CPU I think) starting to get louder so I checked my CPU temp through the program (Core Temp) and I noticed it started to get noticeably quite loud and it heating up at 55-65 degrees Celsius and I could feel my PC heating up on the side panel.. I thought a PC like mine could play Dead Island without any problems but this didn't seem right.

I'm not really smart with PC's but the only thing I can think off is the CPU fan heating arrangements or the case being a deep silence one is causing it to heat up due to limited airflow because of the audio deafening fibre throughout.

I thought I would post on here before calling PCCG if there is an issue so I don't worry about anything ridiculous and there may be a simple solution for this problem..

Thanks

Just looking for any answers guys, also had trouble picking a category so I would appreciate if it was moved if incorrect :)

Thanks

Hi and welcome.

Unfortunately, the link you provided appears to be broken, but never mind. Can you post what the major components are?

I've seen numerous threads with exactly the same problem, so it appears that Dead Island is either a CPU-intensive game or it's badly optimised. I haven't played it so I can't comment one way or another. One way to check is to launch the game, Alt+Tab back into Windows (assuming that's your OS) and look at the Performance tab. If the CPU Usage is beyond 60% across two or more threads, then I'd classify the game as CPU-intensive. If the usage is close to 100% then your CPU is a bottleneck.

CPU temperatures of 55-65C are perfectly safe and normal for a CPU-intensive game, particularly if you don't have an aftermarket CPU cooler.

kweston

Honorable
Feb 18, 2015

Sorry about the broken link!

System Components:
CPU: AMD FX-6300 6 Core Black Edition Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 Motherboard
Graphics: MSI Radeon R9 270 Gaming 2GB
Memory: Kingston Hyper X Fury HX318C10FBK2/8 8GB (2x4GB) Black
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX
Power Supply: Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 600W Power Supply
Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 Claw Case
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM License

If you want to see pictures of the system you can go onto PC case gear and look under the systems tab

My pc is the Blackclaw 270 gaming system ($899)

Thanks

OK, that looks good.

AMD components are known to reach higher temperatures than Intel, but like I said, what you're getting is nothing to worry about.

If the side panel is getting hot then the GPU is the most likely cause, particularly as the case can't accommodate a side fan for additional cooling. You can check GPU temperature by downloading MSI Afterburner. Don't worry if it runs close to 80C, as GPUs are built by design to operate at high temperatures.

Your case isn't the best when it comes to cooling, but you can improve airflow by removing the middle drive cage and installing a top-mounted 120mm or 140mm fan. You could also replace the stock fans with ones that provide more airflow (CFM).

kweston

Honorable
Feb 18, 2015

Thank you so much for the help!

But do you mean install a fan where the middle drive cage is (when removed) or above the CPU fan with the closed vent on the case?

kweston

Honorable
Feb 18, 2015

Okay.. Thanks!

Is there any cables to worry about when removing hard drive trays? or do I just slide all the trays out (excluding bottom) and clip it out? I looked and seen some screws but looks like PCCG chiselled off the head of them

The cage should either lift out completely or lift out in sections and there should be no need to remove the drive bays first. From what I can see, the bottom drive bay is fixed in place but the cage on top is removeable, although I can't tell if this is a tool-free process.

I doubt the screw heads would have been chiselled deliberately. That would make the case not fit for purpose in my book.

kweston

Honorable
Feb 18, 2015

5amfq9.png

I'll give the cage a go tomorrow, but the other issue I'm having now is this black and yellow pci-e cord (I think) it's labelled with CPU and it interfering the area of where I can install a 120mm fan at the top of the case

** may have to rotate photo

brik94

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
So the problem is the loud sound? I'm guessing you're using the stock cpu fan for your 6300.
google "FX 6300 stock cpu fan" and you will see there are tons of complaints about how loud it gets. Mine used to sound like a freaking jet.
While adding more case fans it's an option the best solution is to buy an aftermarket CPU cooler and installing it. The aftermarket cooler will be MUCH quieter and will prevent your 6300 from overheating. I'm assuming the noise is the big issue here.

You can look into researching aftermarket coolers but the most popular one seems to be the Cool Master 212 EVO. I currently use it for my FX 8320. After coming from a Stock cooler I couldn't be happier. Virtually any noise (If I do hear noise it's usually my case fans) when running demanding games.