HP P6310Y - Pegatron M2N78-LA Violet6 RAM Upgrading - Information Needed

JWaldz

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
My desktop at work is a HP P6310Y with the mobo listed in the title. Specs states 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) (max 16gb 4 x 4gb) w/ the note that DDR3-1333 modules will run at 1066 MHz if three or more modules are installed. I use this Desktop for AutoCAD work and am wanting to beef up the memory a little bit. Currently installed is 3 x 2gb factory RAM (samsung I believe). I'd like 16gb but not so happy about the system slowing the speed down, so I think I can probably live with 8 (2 x 4gb). I've searched high and low for memory compatibility for this mobo with no luck. Sure, I can go to newegg and filter out my search to find the specified spec'd memory but that doesn't necessarily mean it will work with it...

One thing I am worried about is killing the mobo. I've read some stories of these mobo's dying within a year. Obviously that's not the case for this one as it's been around a while. At least 2 years. However, I don't want to go changing ram and frying this thing when it belongs to my work.

Any help or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks
-J

JWaldz

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015

None of that suggested memory matches the specs to what the manufacture says is required... PC3-12800 | DDR3 1600 when manufacture specs says it requires PC3 10600 | DDR3 1333

The stock ram that's currently on the board confirms that.

Thank you for your help, but I don't know why it would suggest those as compatible??

The listed DIMM's at Crucial are supposed to be have been tested and confirmed as being compatible with the system.

Whether the DIMM's run at maximum speed rating or at reduced speed is not clear. If motherboard/chipset limits DIMM speed to 1333, then the "compatible" memory may be limited to 1333 despite higher speed rating of the DIMM.

After a quick(ish) search, here are some stores that have "compatible" DIMM's -

Memory Upgrade

Arch Memory

Memoryc

4AllMemory