Need advice on monitor choice for new system with a GTX 970??

ionakana511

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums but have been getting a lot of information from previous posts.

I just built my new system with the help of my brother since I am a total idiot when it comes to computer hardware/software/parts, but I think I did ok with my choices as a first mid/entry-level gaming PC:

CPU: Intel i5 4690k (non-overclocked atm, probably no desire to in the future)
Motherboard: Asrock z97 pro4
GPU: MSI GTX 970
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500gb and Crucial 256gb (got this one from a refurbished sale, has not arrived yet)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb DDR3 1600
PSU: Seasonic 650w 80+ Gold Certified Modular unit
Case: Corsair 500r white
Mouse: Logitech Proteus G502
Monitor: Gateway FDH2400

I have a Benq RL2455hm for my xbox360/one and love the low response time. The Gateway monitor I have was given to me by a friend but it's starting to have its issues, so I wanted to upgrade to something a bit newer and probably go with 27" for size. I mainly play FPS like COD, BF. I recently bought Bioshock Infinite to test out on my system and played it on Very High settings and could not distinguish that from High settings. The gameplay was smooth, no issues at the moment, but once I start going into other more demanding games like BF Hardline, I'm wondering whether an investment in a newer 27" monitor would be worth it.

One thing I'm a bit confused with is whether I should go for a monitor with a higher refresh rate, something around 120-144hz but I do not know whether my system could handle the higher refresh rates or if 60hz is good enough. When I play first person shooters on the rl2455hm, everything is great and 1ms response time is great.

My question is, if I were to get something like an Asus VS278Q-P, VG278HE, or a Benq XL2720TE/T, would my system be able to take advantage of the higher refresh rate or will I be better off saving money and getting a monitor that is 60hz?

I am budgeting around $300-$400 for a monitor, but would preferably like to keep it low, though I am willing to spend a bit more if it will not be obsolete within a couple of months.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Solution
Well it really depends. It's a trade off either way, you can get ips panel with the 1440p screen and that will have better color reproduction than TN 144 hz panel. Gtx 970 with do great at 1440p as that is the intended resolution for it. The advantage than TN panels have is they are much faster gtg and response time will be lower. So, in competitive gaming, TN is a must. I would personally step to the BenQ-GW2765HT.

ionakana511

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

Thanks! I actually edited my original post and added that lol. I've been reading other threads as well and now a 1440p monitor has me intrigued. I'm still worried that a single non-SLI'd 970 would not be able to power something like a 1440p monitor (apologies again, I'm not too familiar with GPU specs and features, but I was told the 970 is a great GPU at the moment and a 980 would not be worth it for the price right now...so basically the 970 is a "sweet-spot" GPU from what I've been told).

For the games mentioned above, would it be more worth it to have a 1440p monitor or something with a higher refresh rate?

Thanks!

ionakana511

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
Would there be a big difference between the VG278HE vs this Benq?

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2720Z-27-inch-Performance-Monitor/dp/B00GWFNMJS/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1424398648&sr=1-5&keywords=asus+vg278h

I wouldnt mind going up to the 400+ range if in the end, it will last me a while and wont become obsolete.

Now also considering this despite having a bit slower response time.

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2765HT-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00KYCSRSG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424400329&sr=8-1&keywords=GW2765HT

Well it really depends. It's a trade off either way, you can get ips panel with the 1440p screen and that will have better color reproduction than TN 144 hz panel. Gtx 970 with do great at 1440p as that is the intended resolution for it. The advantage than TN panels have is they are much faster gtg and response time will be lower. So, in competitive gaming, TN is a must. I would personally step to the BenQ-GW2765HT.

Solution

ionakana511

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

Yeah, I thought about it a lot and I'm not competitive and will play some games, but I want the monitor to be more capable than just for gaming. The Benq is looking good right now especially since I have a BenQ already, I'm also looking into the LG 29UM65 and the Asus PB278Q. The idea of an ultra-wide screen is nice, but its only 2560x1080 unlike the benq and asus which is at 1440. So many choices, its not making the choice any easier lol.

ionakana511

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
I ended up going with the Benq GW2765HT. Seems to have most of the features I want, though other companies were pretty much similar, I like Benq products so just with what I already know. Thanks again ak47jar3d!

TRENDING THREADS