Advice needed - 1st custom built PC for Maya and After Effects

frogfucious

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
I've been reading the forums and noticed how many knowledgable people here are nice enough to offer their advice on helping build custom PCs. I have never built one before but I would like to because my budget is limited and I am confident that with some direction, I can do it.

The purposes of this build would be primarily for 3D/ motion graphics work. Heavy Maya rendering, and using the bifrost plugin, heavy After Effects rendering using the Element 3D plugin, Zbrush 64bit, Realflow. I would like to be able to work in After Effects as smooth and fast as possible, and also be able to chew up 3D renders. I don't mind if I can't play games maxed out - this is for work.

My budget is around $2,500 - $3,000 give or take.

Certain components I would like are the following:

-A 256GB SSD for my software
-A 3TB HD for my data (or more?)
-At least an i7 quad core 4ghz (Or should I go 6 core? Are more cores more important or higher ghz?)
-A good video card to handle the work I listed above(GTX 980?)
-64GB RAM (or is 32 enough?)
-A new monitor (2560x1440 would be nice, dual monitors would be great)
-A DVD drive/burner
-USB3 ports
-Speakers (don't care what kind)
-Keyboard (don't care what kind)
-Mouse (3 button for maya)
-Case (something relatively quiet)
-Some kind of liquid cooling (needed?)
-Windows (I was hoping to create this once windows 10 is released so I have time.)
-motherboard - no idea
-power supply - no idea

My problem is I am not sure if the components I listed will play nice together, or if I even chose ones that match my needs? You will also not offend me if you say something I listed makes absolutely no sense or if my budget is way off. Please feel free to be as honest as you like. I really appreciate anyone taking the time to make any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Chris_Cruise

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
I have these EXACT same questions. I was at a store here in Toronto yesterday and spoke with a sales guy at length about the same components you listed. The price in CAN was in that 3k-3.5k range you also mentioned. He was confident that 32gb of ram would enough, and 32gb of DDR4 was going to be $650 -$700 range

The biggest price difference was between the 8 core and 6 core CPU's. We're talking either $700 or $1320!! That's a significant price difference and I too am wondering if its worth it to splurge on the extra cores or not.

Seems like you have listed a very good build and I'm probably going to go to the store and pick up this exact system this weekend.

Steve Bloomfield

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
I'm no expert, but I too am just about to venture into my first build in the next coming months. From what i've read, more cores and ram are needed for graphics, I've decided on a spec computer that is similar to your budget. You can check it out here... http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/7dFQxr although im from UK but you can change so its in $ im also working on my storage options :)

frogfucious

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

I was curious if you ended up picking up this system over the weekend. I also recently heard that 32 of DDR4 would be sufficient. On another forum I was recommended to get the AMD FirePro W7100 8GB Video Card instead of the GTX 980 for my specific needs, not sure why. Did you go with 4 core or 6 core? What type of power supply and motherboard did they recommend?
Thanks

frogfucious

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

I was curious the reasoning for so many fans. I am not familiar with building pc's so I wonder if I should consider many fans as well? I thought all you need is one good one. Also how did you decide on your motherbpard? I am not sure what to look for when it comes to that.

Steve Bloomfield

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
I am not a pc expert & this will be my first build. As for fans, the only reason i have this many is i plan to overclock at some point, plus add more RAM and another 980, so i need to keep it cool. With regards to the motherboard, it kinda follows on from what i said above, firstly, it matches my chipset & socket for the CPU (very important) but it also allows plenty of room for upgrades, like 64GB RAM & up to 4 GPU's should i wish. So the reasoning behind all of it was i didnt just want a PC that was only going to last 2yrs before having to change it all. I can now keep it & upgrade it as and when I want or need :)

Hope that helps

frogfucious

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015

Oh that makes sense, thanks for the info! Good luck with the build.

Steve Bloomfield

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
No worries :) Watch as many videos & read as much stuff as you can before making/deciding to build. I've done about 2 months of research, and im still worrying about doing my first build :)

Good luck with whatever you decide