Asus VG248QE Monitor Not Displaying on New Build (No Signal)

FarNerdy

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
To start, here is the complete part list I ended up with in my custom build that I just finished over the past weekend:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor

My issue is with the monitor. I used an old monitor via VGA input to do the initial setup of the BIOS and OS install without issue. When my new monitor (the Asus VG248QE) arrived via UPS yesterday, I unboxed it and set it up with my machine. Initially, I plugged the DVI cable from the monitor into the on-board DVI input on my GIGABYTE motherboard. However, when I started up the machine, I received the statement on the Asus monitor saying "DVI: No Input", and then the screen went into power saving mode. I turned off the monitor, unplugged it from the monitor source for a good minute or two, plugged it back in, and tried again. Same error. I went ahead and attempted the process with an HDMI cable instead, and had the same error show up "HDMI: No Signal." This, again, was into the on-board HDMI input on my GIGABYTE motherboard.

At this point, I was a little frustrated, so I tried to plug the Asus monitor in to my working laptop via HDMI, and it worked just fine. Came up without a problem, and displayed everything. Not sure what's going on...

A note: I have not yet installed the drivers to my graphics card as I was hoping to do that with the new monitor plugged in to the motherboard, and just be able to switch it over to the graphics card input once the appropriate drivers were installed. In addition, I have not yet installed the drivers for the monitor because the monitor needs to be plugged in to the machine for the driver installer to recognize the product, and I haven't been able to get the monitor to display anything at all in order to go through that process. It's a whole running around in circles kind of experience!

I am not at home for the next few hours to be able to troubleshoot/tell you anything further about the machine and monitor. But I was hoping that I could get a few ideas from you all here that I might be able to try once I get back to my machine and see if any of your advice helps. If it doesn't at that point, I'll update this post and see if there is anything further that could be attempted before I chuck the monitor out the window!

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

Solution
If you remove the GPU, and set the bios to default, it should work on the monitor from the motherboard. That is the default configuration. Every BIOS is different for what settings that may be needed to enable a discrete GPU, but it either involves disabling the onboard IGP or enabling a discrete GPU.

FarNerdy

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

Correct. Nothing from the GPU as well. GPU only has DVI, HDMI, and two DisplayPorts - so I can't attempt it with VGA.

Take the GPU out of the system, then try to boot it up while connected to the motherboard. This should work, and if it doesn't, then you need to troubleshoot your system. If all the hardware is properly installed and functioning, it should post without an issue. No drivers needed.

FarNerdy

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

I'll definitely try that. To calm my own mind too, what would be your suggested order of steps to take after that, saying the monitor receives the signal just fine? I want to make sure I don't mess anything up from that point forward. Say the monitor works plugged in to the mohterboard with the GPU out, what should be my next steps? What should I install? I want to eventually use my GPU obviously lol. Sorry for the newbie sounding question, but I'm not trusting myself as much lately with this build, and want to make sure I get other people's opinions on how to do it right.

Thanks.

TysonY2

Reputable
May 29, 2014
I would say try a different GPU if you have one laying around, and see if it displays with it installed. If it does display with a different graphics card, it could be a sign that your gpu may be faulty. But I'd make extra sure by maybe plugging it into a pare desktop or maybe a friends computer and seeing if the problem persists before going forth with a possibly unnecessary RMA. If it does not display with a spare gpu, then I would install your graphics drivers while using the onboard graphics and reinstall the gpu after you have drivers installed. That may help. It is essentially a process of elimination, trying to figure out what exactly is killing the signal to the display. I am by far no expert either, but it's a start!

FarNerdy

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to do the best I can. Unfortunately, I don't have spares of the things you specified lying around. The only other desktop I have access to is my parents', but it is going on 7 years old and not capable of handling the GPU I have. But I'll see what I can eliminate with what I have available.

Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have a list of what the BIOS settings should be to enable the monitor to work? As I said in my original post, I can't look now at what I have setup on the machine, but I want to make sure I have everything properly figured to make this work through BIOS. My mistake may lie there and I just don't know it yet. Any recommendations or examples of what they should be set to (even in general terms) for all of the graphics to work appropriately would be greatly appreciated.

If you remove the GPU, and set the bios to default, it should work on the monitor from the motherboard. That is the default configuration. Every BIOS is different for what settings that may be needed to enable a discrete GPU, but it either involves disabling the onboard IGP or enabling a discrete GPU.

Solution