Questions about Freesync, and Asus mg279q 1440p monitor

whalen22

Honorable
May 26, 2012
I really wanted to get a good 1440p monitor and the upcoming Asus mg279q looks like the holy Grail I've been waiting for. However it says that it is freesync . what does freesync do? Also I'm looking to get a new graphics card and if I get this monitor should I get an upcoming 390 for the freesync? Finally my last question is should I wait for other companies to come out with monitors like these for lower price or is asus good?

Solution
AMD'S freesync is similar to nvidia's g-sync, it simply forces the display's refresh rate to the gpu's giving you smoother gameplay without tear. Asus is one of the best when it comes to monitors so yeah if you have the budget to go with it then definitely. And for the graphics card if your patient enough you could wait and see(i bet it will be awesome), but if not you could go with either the r9 290 or the 290x, you can't go wrong with either of them.

Sintruder

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
AMD'S freesync is similar to nvidia's g-sync, it simply forces the display's refresh rate to the gpu's giving you smoother gameplay without tear. Asus is one of the best when it comes to monitors so yeah if you have the budget to go with it then definitely. And for the graphics card if your patient enough you could wait and see(i bet it will be awesome), but if not you could go with either the r9 290 or the 290x, you can't go wrong with either of them.

Solution

whalen22

Honorable
May 26, 2012
I am on the phone so I can't reply so I hope you see this but thank you very much. One more question I have is do I need an amd graphics card for free sync? I have a 770 right now and I want to upgrade and I wanted to wait for the 390's for free sync because getting a 290 would not be an upgrade at all.thank you

Sintruder

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
You're welcome:)I'm also on the phone so I can't quote you. Freesync is open standard so anybody can use it but right now nvidia doesn't support it (maybe they will in the future) so right now you'll need an amd card. But you could buy the freesync monitor now and then wait for the r9 390x to get released.
(You should mark the thread solved by choosing the best answer if you don't have anymore questions)