i5 2400 - cooling and power requirements

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Hi all, it's me again, the guy whose comp blew up shortly before he upgraded (phew!)

I've just bought a 2nd hand PC with intel i5 2400, and I will stick in my Radeon 5750 too (I'm an anachronistic man of the past, as you can see)

Just wanted to consult your divine intellect of the wibbly wobbly web as to whether I should expect to use more than the standard fan/heatsink arrangement for the processor, and whether the PSU I've got in mind will be up to the task. Definitely no overclocking for me...

System will be something like :

Operating System
Windows 7 Home 64-bit SP1

CPU
Intel I-5 2400 3.1ghz

RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
(I will boost this up to around 8-16GB, not sure

Motherboard
Don't know yet (I'm a tard I bought off ebay and forgot to check this crucial spec)

Monitor: BenQ GL2460 (1920x1080@60Hz)

Card: 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series (XFX Pine Group) 38 °C

Storage
2x 500GB HDDs SATA

Optical Drives
DVDRW

Power
500W EVGA

As ever, any and all advice gratefully received!!! :)

Since you cannot really overclock the i5 2400, it doesn't require any special cooling. Even a basic stock cooler will keep it well within acceptable operating temps.

That 500w PSU should work just fine for what you want. It even leaves room for further expansion if you desire in the future.

mlga91

Admirable
That psu should be more than enough, and will let you put a better GPU down the road, the 5750 is starting to show its age, i've got a 6750 which is basically a rebranded 5750, and im looking to change it in a not so distant future. As for cooling, the stock cooler of the 2400 will do the trick.

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

I am wanting the processor power and memory for things like Stainless Steel mod for Medieval 2 Total War - an aged game but the mod really pushes the envelope in terms of what the engine can do. Basically it means you have a 15 minute wait for every computer turn.
With this in mind, my GPU is slightly less important, though that, along with my HDD, will undoubtedly be a bit of an irritating bottleneck in the future.

Thanks once again :)

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Turns out I didn't blow up my computer, it WASNT the Mobo/processer that was duff, it was a POS PSU frying every single power cable put in there.
Even though I tested mutliple PSUs, cables, and even power sockets, each power cable had been tested in this PSU, which had broken them (presumably blew the fuse)

LIVID! Have bought a new computer needlessly!!!!!