Turn old PC into internet radio with android remote (project)

hrdwre

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
What is the best way to turn an old pc with speakers into a wifi internet radio? Something like this, preferably.

I want to do this as cheaply as possible. I have the computer and monitor with speakers as well as a Android Moto G 2nd gen with the paid version of the "Unified Remote Full" app that I could use as a wifi remote as a last resort (because I don't like navigating using my phone as a mouse). I don't have a wifi adapter but I'm willing to invest $15 or less on an adapter.

My main goal is to create an easy to navigate menu of radio stations, whether pre-set or automatically generated (from something like shoutcast), displayed, preferrably, right on my android phone, but if this is not possible, a large, easy to read display on my monitor would be great too.

Another plus would be the ability to play youtube and a way to play files stored on the PC itself, though these things aren't part of my primary goal.

Thanks

Option 1:
Install Kodi (aka XMBC) on your old PC. Add a plug-in for Internet radio. Congratulations - you've just got nice DLNA-compatible media player.
There are XBMC remotes for Android you can use.

Option 2: Install whatever OS you like supported by your Android remote, then install VLC / Youtube / whatever to play your media.