Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

87°C on idle i5-2500

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 23, 2012 9:15:39 PM

Hello, I've just set my new built (GIGABYTE Z68A-D3H-B3
Corsair CX600 V2
C-TECH Flamingo
Intel Core i5-2500
Kingston HyperX Blu XMP 2x4GB
Sapphire HD 7850 OC 2GB)
and I'm temporarily using the stock cooler that came with i5 2500. I've installed CPU, cooler (didn't apply any additional thermal paste) and when I went to BIOS and looked at CPU temperature and it said 87°C which is from what I know pretty crazy...
What should I check? Or any other advices? Thank you! I hope I didn't hurt my beloved new i5 :( 

More about : 87c idle 2500

a b à CPUs
April 23, 2012 9:40:58 PM

Meelkor said:
Hello, I've just set my new built (GIGABYTE Z68A-D3H-B3
Corsair CX600 V2
C-TECH Flamingo
Intel Core i5-2500
Kingston HyperX Blu XMP 2x4GB
Sapphire HD 7850 OC 2GB)
and I'm temporarily using the stock cooler that came with i5 2500. I've installed CPU, cooler (didn't apply any additional thermal paste) and when I went to BIOS and looked at CPU temperature and it said 87°C which is from what I know pretty crazy...
What should I check? Or any other advices? Thank you! I hope I didn't hurt my beloved new i5 :( 


Download HWMonitor and Core Temp to double check. If they really are that high, I would stop use it immediately and get a cheap aftermarket cooler, the stock one is pretty bad.
April 23, 2012 10:09:17 PM

Unfortunately I have no live OS right now so I can't check. Is trying to install Windows with these temperatures a suicide?
Related resources
a c 82 à CPUs
April 23, 2012 10:20:25 PM

I wouldn't risk trying an OS install with temps that high in the BIOS. Double check the cooler and make sure that it is tightly mounted. The push pins on the stock intel coolers tend to be tricky. If your cooler is in any way loose, then it isn't mounted properly. You should not be able to move the cooler at all if it is properly locked down.
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2012 10:48:59 PM

Supernova1138 said:
I wouldn't risk trying an OS install with temps that high in the BIOS. Double check the cooler and make sure that it is tightly mounted. The push pins on the stock intel coolers tend to be tricky. If your cooler is in any way loose, then it isn't mounted properly. You should not be able to move the cooler at all if it is properly locked down.


87C idle is unacceptable even on the stock cooler. Try pulling the CPU cooler, re applying the thermal paste (with quality paste such as arctic silver 5) and re set the cooler. Make sure the cooler is properly installed.

Here is a guide to assist you in proper thermal paste application and cooler installation.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How-To-Correctly...
April 24, 2012 1:47:50 PM

I've reinstalled the cooler and now it's really tightly installed. BIOS now displays around 57°C, is it safe to install OS and boot now so I can check it from there? (I guess I will try also to apply some extra thermo paste (or w/e it is called, haha), even though there was a little already)
Thank you for help :) 
a c 82 à CPUs
April 24, 2012 3:45:43 PM

That's still high, but probably safe enough to install the OS. I'd say clean off the CPU and get some new thermal paste on there and reattach the cooler, that should get your temps down to normal. If new thermal paste doesn't work, then you either have a serious airflow problem in your case, or there is something wrong with the stock cooler you have.
April 24, 2012 8:11:10 PM

Well, after clearing and putting new thermopaste it has 39/40°C in idle, but when I tried to put CPU under a stress (100% through everest), it got over 80°C in no time :/  Should I be affraid of trying to play some game, or game simply can't put CPU under such high stress that could harm my PC? Also can I somehow set to get BSoD when temperature will get too high? (I'm getting little OT there, sorry)
Thank you very much again!
a c 82 à CPUs
April 24, 2012 8:41:46 PM

80 celsius is unfortunately a not uncommon temp on the stock cooler if the CPU is pushed to 100% constant load. Your current temps are much better than before. You should be safe for gaming as gaming temps are a good deal lower than stress tests.

I would recommend getting an aftermarket cooler if you are planning on using software that pushes your CPU as hard as the stress tests do. Intel's stock coolers are at best barely adequate for a quad core CPU.
April 24, 2012 8:59:12 PM

Well, I will buy some cheap one as soon as I get wage I guess.
Thank you very much for everything! I'm glad that friend of mine recommended this forum to me.
a c 283 à CPUs
April 24, 2012 9:06:15 PM

Meelkor said:
Well, I will buy some cheap one as soon as I get wage I guess.
Thank you very much for everything! I'm glad that friend of mine recommended this forum to me.


Just recommended this in another thread too, but I suggest going with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (I think I may be starting to sound like a shill for the company, lol, but I just got one and it's amazing for the price).
April 24, 2012 9:43:48 PM

Looks nice, I'll probably go for this one as well, thanks :) 
!