car batterr trouble

e31

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
Ok here's my problem my battery dead can I take the battery out I hook it up to a battery in a running car to charge it enough to put back in my car nd start it

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
If the leads are the same type and if the working battery has enough cold cranking amps (CCA), I don't see why not... The CCA should be listed on both batteries on a sticker somewhere.

Did you at least try to jump the dead battery? It might not even be a battery, it could be the starter or even the alternator. If it does start with a jump, though, chances are it is the battery.

using another car to charge a dead battery can be harmful to the alternator in the charging vehicle.it is recommended you use a battery charger instead.unless you know how to use a voltmeter you should go to a shop and have an avr test done.this will test your battery,starter and alternator.typically,car running,the voltage at the battery,if the alternator is putting out,should be anywhere from 13.2-14.5 volts.anything less and it is an alternator problem.there is also a test for the battery called a 3 minute charge test.when charging the battery at 40amps the voltage shouldnt go over 16.9 volts.if it does its the battery at fault.bottom line tho is if any of this doesnt make sense to you,take it to a shop.just so you know,ive been an automotive mechanic for almost 35 years.cheers.