Help needed, Difference between tv and computer monitor please explain

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hello

I need some help

I am submitting orders for monitors for the program I work for to use for music production and 3D design and rendering.

My boss wants to use tvs for it, but Ive tried explaining why we need monitors.
I know what the differences are but I am not so good at explaining at.

Can everyone please give me examples of how I can explain to my boss why we do not want to use LED flat screen tvs for the this.

Please help

The main difference is the distance quality.

A TV is designed so you sit far away from it which gives you the best experience. A Computer monitor is designed the opposite way. It's made so you can sit really close to it and not notice a quality change.

Hope this helps! :D

Another difference that I've seen is input lag - TVs ted to have lots while monitors are quite good and have very little.

Try saying that monitors are optimised for their designated purpose and have been tested for this - they will perform better compared to TVs and result in improved productivity in workers :).

Add as many corporate buzzwords as possible :D

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
The differences use to be vast a few years ago... but today, you really can't tell that much of a difference quality-wise.

In some cases, TV's work out better than monitors... and in some cases, PC Monitors are better.

What size was your boss interested in getting? How many?

Most TV's only have an HDMI connection in their back. Do any of your computers have an HDMI port on back? If the computers only have VGA then you'll need an adapter. If they only have DVI then you'll also need an adapter for that or use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect to the TV.

Another thing you need to take into consideration is... Almost no TV has a sleep mode function when connected to a computer. So that means when your computer shuts down or Windows sends the command to put your monitor to sleep... if you have a TV connected.. it will NOT sleep at all. You will have a large box moving on the screen that says, "No Connection"... and you will have to manually turn on and then manually turn off each TV. However, monitors will go to sleep with the computer. That's one thing that doesn't make any sense... and I think it's set up/done like that on purpose to not cannibalize PC Monitor Sales.

Overall, if you want my personal opinion... you should go ahead and get regular PC Monitors... they will be easier to keep up with and much easier to setup/connect.

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

What about color accuracy?

Also, bear in mind a well calibrated TV may blow the socks off a stock monitor and vice versa. As if the decision wasn't complicated enough :)

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

What specs for the tv would I have to look for to make it just as good for a monitor for music and 3D design and rendering and Photoshop, Illustrator?

USAFRet

Titan

"Specs" mean little. Eyeballs and calibration are the key.
And music, 3D rendering, and Photoshop all have different requirements and use cases. There is no one size fits all.

For instance, right here in front of me I have a very nice 22" HP IPS panel, and a newer 24" ASUS TN panel. Both look different, and show different things, differently.
i think the HP shows colors a little more accurately, but the picture on the ASUS is brighter and feels better.

How many screens are you looking at buying, and what do your users/designers/developers want?
One guy may want 2 x 22" screens, and other may want a single 29" panel. For a different use, a 47" screen may be the solution.

endy0307

Reputable
May 31, 2015
music production and 3D design and rendering.

i dont know much about either but im reading alot of articles since im also looking to upgrade my tv(32inch 60 hz )1080p to something newer.
from what i know is that gaming monitors difer from productivity in certain areas, like 120hz 144hz are not really needed for productivity (you might need to check if for rendering it does efect the quality that you see) 120 are more for gaming so you dont see that much blur on objects.also there are benq monitors that have fetures to reduce eye strain and fatige but also improves quality.
resolution is also important dosent matter the use but the distance is also better example is that a 4k monitor or tv is the same as other resulutions from far away. si its better to have 4k or siimilar when you are up close to it it will be much better quality.. also color reproduction, there are monitors that better repruduce color and they wiill market it that way(benq again and lg ) this is important becouse a blue you will see a blue not some other color .
also ergonomics(sorry for the grammar) some monitors you can put side ways --or verticall depending on your work this can actually efect how productive you are,and also simple things like tilt up and to the sides. some of there are things that monitors somethings to better than tvs becouse tvs are just ment to be static and seen at certain distances. you can check some of the parts that i wrote here individually and then compare them to your boss that way he can see the diferences betwen plain old tv even ifts 4k or whatever and some good productivity monitors
(also tell you boss that monitors can be put together for better multi tasking )
3 22 inch monitors are great for you kind of work not the same as buying a 40 inch tv
also monitors are easy to replace in case one goes out you would still have 2 but a tv is a bit harder to replace and monitors can be bought little at time, and keep adding to the computers and cost can be spreaded out !

this is a really good list to get specs, prices ,recomendetions and reviews to help the the info you need to compare.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/top-best-computer-monitors,3917.html

also check NCIX in you tube they review alot of new monitors for diferent uses and migth give you what you need to help explain the diference !! good luck !!

TRENDING THREADS