No video after attempted USB 3.0 PCIe card install

smileman

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I have a Dell Optiplex 790 MT on Windows 8.1. I run two monitors off of an older AMD graphics card ([strike]3010 ATI Radeon HD 4650 512MB PCI-e Video, I believe[/strike] 3700 AMD Radeon 6450 HD 1GB FH DVI 1).

Today I installed an Inatek USB 3.0 card (without SATA power). I temporarily removed the AMD graphics card, which was my powering dual monitors, so that I could more easily install the Inatek card (I suspect here is where I made a big mistake?).

After putting everything in place and putting the lid back on and powering up I no longer have any video. Power seems to be fine for all devices.

Troubleshooting already attempted: I tried removing the Inatek, removing and reattaching the AMD, putting the AMD in a different PCIe slot, removing the AMD and plugging just a single display port monitor cable into the Dell's built-in display port slot, unplugging my DVI and Display Port monitor connections and plugging in just a VGA cable - nothing seems to be delivering video.

Somewhat troubling, I tried using my Chrome remote desktop from my laptop to see if I could login to the Dell there but it says the computer has not been seen. I would have thought if the Dell is booting to the login screen I should be able to login in via remote desktop from my laptop.

Desperate for help. Thanks.

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013
What im getting out of this is that you installed an Inateck USB 3.0 card Pci-e card, and you removed your Gpu for easy fitting? Once you turn your computer on, did your GPU fans spin?

How many wattage does your power supply have?

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

Pictures of the Radeon HD 4650 have a very small fan :p.
AGP-Ensemble.jpg

Now you said you removed the USB 3.0 card and tried to run the computer again?
I think it is a wattage issue, im not 100% sure.

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

Don't Worry I did it for you. You need at least 270 watts to run your computer, your hitting bare minimum. If you would like a best answer from me, take a picture of it so I can see the inside of your computer. Thanks

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

Did you add the GPU after you bought your computer? If you did, then the GPU definitely needs to be in there. Or, if your motherboard has an integrated GPU, id plug it in that one and try that out. if your board got an integrated solution, by all means you can use that

** Is this how the back of your computer looks like?
g-back_575px.jpg

I would use the VGA, not the bottom DVi one.

smileman

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Yes, that's the back of my machine (except my cards are different).

My 790 has Intel HD Graphics (my processor is a core i3).

As I mentioned in the original post I already tried using just the built-in VGA with one monitor, and then the built in Display Port with just one monitor, and still no video.

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

Hmm this is very weird, I don't want to say I dont know how to solve this. Can you take a picture of the inside of your computer for me? I work much better with pictures and videos.

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

Unplug the Main huge connector from your motherboard then reconnect it. Did you take precautions when you installed the card? You also could have shocked the system.

smileman

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I unplugged the Main (with all the multi-colored cables) and plugged it back in, but still no video.

I think at this point I'm going to need to call a technician. Thanks for trying.

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

Anytime bro, I feel really bad haha. Hope he gives you better advise.