Playing a video via the internet on my second monitor i.e. youtube, twitch causes internet to slow down to almost nothing

TomGaming

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
I recently purchased a second monitor for my PC, it runs fine, there are no physical issues. Both are plugged into my GTX 760 graphics card via DVI. I bought these with the intention of improving usability i.e. gaming on the main monitor and having other stuff i.e. Youtube, Twitch or any other video streaming service on the second among other things. There is an apparent issue however, it seems that my internet speeds on the second monitor are appalling compared with that of the first, I can play a full 1080p video on my main monitor with my internet (download) functioning at 30mbps or higher but whenever i move this window over to the second monitor, it appears to stop loading, or at best load at a phenomenally poor speed (it can barely keep up with a 144p video). Whenever i speedtest, the speed is that at 0.5mbps or less but when i change tab to look at the speedtest (the Youtube video in the other tab) the speed shoots back up to its normal levels). This is really concerning to me as it seems as though it could be an issue with graphics card or motherboard which would be an expensive issue. I have ordered TP-Link powerplug in order to speed my internet too as i currently run through a pci-e wifi adapter, so I am hoping that will help either fix or mask the issue somewhat so I will update this thread when they arrive. Thanks

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

So before you bought the second monitor you had no issues? Also I had horrible connection to my router before I bought the same TP-Link powerplug, works great. On wifi I used to get 30 mbps with the powerplug I got 90 mbps

TomGaming

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015

Yeah, before I got the second monitor everything ran fine and still does if I basically ignore the second monitor.

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

That is very strange, Ive never ever heard of a problem like this before. As you wait for your TP link I would plug in an ethernet cable. Dont worry haha your motherboard and GPU have nothing to deal with this. Its should be your wifi card.

TomGaming

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015

That's good to hear, I can't actually use an ethernet cable to test as the router is too far away which is why i'm getting the powerplug but it is coming Tuesday so I don't mind waiting it out, thanks for the assurance.

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

Anytime bud

TomGaming

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
Update: I'm now happy to say that it appears to be a Chrome issue. I'm stupid for not checking before but IE can load videos as normal on both monitors. I will now do a fresh install of chrome.

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

Interesting, try firefox also.