Monitor loses signal and sound get freeze few seconds after runing a game

aballara

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
First of all sorry for my bad english. Im from Argentina

I have a problem with my GPU (r9 280x Sapphire). When I play heavy games like BTF3 or Dragon Age Inquisition, after 1 or 2 minutes the screen goes black and the sound get freeze for 2 or 3 seconds. After that my PC still runing but my monitor loses the signal and I lose the audio too. The temps are OK, like the PSU (700watts 80 Plus)

I build this PC a year ago, and I've never had problems like this before. All happends after clean my pc with compressed air. I took out the VGA, cleaned it an reaply thermal paste (I clean all my PC every 2 months, this isn the first time that I do this, and I use latex gloves and antiestatic wirst)

Well, I read on this forum that could be some of this problems:
-PSU: Not for me, my PSU is working well, and I've tried another bigger PSU of 850watts, and the same problem
-Temps: The temps doesnt seems to be the real problem.
-GPU: Have to change it (I dont belive this neither) BUT, ive heard that maybe a thermal sensor which the GPU have inside is broken.
-BIOS, the only thing that I did not tried is to flash te bios and upgrade it

I tried to format and re install windows 8.1, and reinstall the drivers too but nothing. But all seems to be a drivers problem because I've tried with BTF3 and I could play for 4 or 5 minutes but in windowed mode and setting the graphics at ''auto'' (I can play over 60fps on Ultra normally) and when I tried this config, the game freezed, after 4 or 5 minutes (more than normal) but I dont loose the signal of the monitor, the game only get freezed and a advertisment from the notification panel (right - down, between the clock) says that I have a problem with Cataclyst drivers, so ALL THIS make me think that its a drivers problem.

After this I close the game with the taks manager, and restart the game with the same config, I could play like 15 minutes very well, then I switch the graphics to ''ultra'' and after 2 minutes the games freeze and loses signal. HELP PLS :(

My Rig:
i7 3770 - Watercooled H100i
Mother: Gigabyte z77-D3H
Ram: 8gb Gskill Trident 2100 mhz
GPU: R9 280x Dual X Sapphire
PSU: 700watts Thermaltake 80 plus
Windows: 8.1

LightSwordM

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
Wait a minute, this is the same problem I had with my old GTS 250! This is likely a hardware problem: sometimes, under heavy load, audio would be crippled and the screen would black out. So this a hardware deficiency I believe.

About the message: this is a safety measure from the driver. Otherwise, your GPU could break, or even worse, you could lose your data. I tried getting the Nv File, and the GPU shut down the system to protect itself.

Conclusion: Your GPU has a problem in its core, so don't take any risks. This is not a driver problem.