Looking For a Business Discount For PC Parts

NitrixCustoms

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Hi, I was thinking about starting a computer repair/custom-built/Mainstream Brand Retailing/IT Consultant (that's a lot of stuff, I know) business. Problem is, if I'm going to sell some individual components for upgrading custom systems I've built for people and what-not, how will I sell in a competitive fashion against big-box and online retailers who already have total control? I've read quite a few threads about this kind of issue before I decided to write my own, and most either say only repair, or don't do it at all. I understand that most of the money's in repair, but look at Alienware, IBuyPower, CyberPowerPC, and that's only naming a few companies solely built on custom PCs. Only one of the listed items, Alienware, actually designs some of their own components for the systems, seeing as Dell gives them all the manufacturing power and the general resources to do it. I don't have the resources these people do, though. I'm one guy sitting in front of his HP laptop tapping away at a keyboard, not one of the retailers who gets everything on discount because of the influence they have on people. If you can source me stuff for less than the other guys, please let me know. If you know how I could get a direct shipment from any of the manufacturers for a discount (besides wholesale, don't have quite enough to buy large, even with a big discount), feel free to tell me. Thanks,
Josh

Solution
You cant compete with with any of those companies, period. No one will give you a large discount on parts unless you are buying thousands of parts. The only way you can make any money building and selling PCs is to do it locally or if you have a good rep on ebay, maybe there.
You cant compete with with any of those companies, period. No one will give you a large discount on parts unless you are buying thousands of parts. The only way you can make any money building and selling PCs is to do it locally or if you have a good rep on ebay, maybe there.

Solution

NitrixCustoms

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

In my town, there's already some prominent tech stores like Best Buy, along with the wide availability of not-so tech-savvy people, so they're all attracted to that, but the ones who want something that is built specifically for them, for nobody else, is for the people who understand what that computer really is, how much power you can fit in one little metal or plastic box. I try to cater to both sides, but I mostly would end up filling out business needs for small businesses who need specialized machines, along with a better bang for the buck without the hassle of building it themselves.