Using Nvidia & AMD at the same time for G-Sync Monitor(s)

Picadilypie

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
Hi there, I recently built a new desktop and I'm running a Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 295x2 Graphics card, my issue is I bought an Asus ROG Swift 27" 144hz monitor, which is a Displayport monitor (AMD GPU only supports mini-displayport) and using a dp>dp-mini cable only lets me gain max 60hz refresh with the monitor buttons (though I have managed to get 120hz via GPU settings)

My question is: Would I be able to install an Nvidia card alongside my current GPU and hook my monitor(s) up to the Nvidia card so that I can get the full 144hz (and possibly the G-sync too) Whilst still using the AMD GPU as the main?

I was also planning on getting a second monitor when the Asus ROG swift 4k resolution version comes out eventually (which is another G-sync monitor)

Solution
the answer is no. you cant do that. you can wait for freesync, or you can change to nvidia, which i'd suggest because you get high graphical improvements aswell ( gameworks) which makes games look much better,you would also get power efficiency which is very important in my opinion.
You performance would be better with gtx 980 sli, but still for 4k i wouldn't suggest it.

my advice to you:

wait 1-2 month and see if nvidia releases the 980Ti with 6-8 gb vram, and buy sli with it. then you can enjoy gameworks, shadowplay,gfe,g-sync,power efficiency, superoverclock possibilities in 4k .

sz0ty0l4

Distinguished
I think the answer is no.

G-sync is nvidia technology, and you need to connect your display to your graphics card.
But amd said something about a technology called " freesync " which seems to be a good solution but it's not sure when will it come out.

Picadilypie

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015

is there any way to use an Nvidia card for the monitor(s) And still have the AMD card contributing something useful to performance?
Like what If when I get the 60hz 4k monitor, I hook that up to the AMD GPU, and use the Nvidia GPU for my current monitor? would I be able to use the AMD/4k to stream HD movies whilst simultaneously using the Nvidia/144hz to game? I'd want to use the 144hz monitor for competitive play, and use a 4k monitor for movies/ RPG's/ single-players

jollypirate

Honorable
Jul 18, 2014

no.You can sell the 295x2 and get two 980s then you would be good enough for 4k and you would get g sync, but there is no way to make a amd work togheter with a nvidia

sz0ty0l4

Distinguished
the answer is no. you cant do that. you can wait for freesync, or you can change to nvidia, which i'd suggest because you get high graphical improvements aswell ( gameworks) which makes games look much better,you would also get power efficiency which is very important in my opinion.
You performance would be better with gtx 980 sli, but still for 4k i wouldn't suggest it.

my advice to you:

wait 1-2 month and see if nvidia releases the 980Ti with 6-8 gb vram, and buy sli with it. then you can enjoy gameworks, shadowplay,gfe,g-sync,power efficiency, superoverclock possibilities in 4k .

Solution