can I play games on Discrete graphics card by plugging second monitor into onboard graphics?

Aditya123456

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
Hello, I have an ASUS m3n68AM Plus (with Nvidia Geforce onboard graphics).
I recently installed a new graphics card on the PCI slot and my primary monitor is plugged into that slot.

Now, on a laptop, if I connect a second monitor and start gaming, the game runs on the discrete graphics card as selected in the catalyst control center.

However on a desktop,
I had a question: If plug in a second monitor into the onboard graphics port,
and in the windows extended desktop mode, play a game on the second monitor,
(the game has been selected to run on the dedicated graphics card in the switchable graphics section in the power play settings.)
will it run on the dedicated graphics card or the integrated one?
I know all about managing laptop graphics, but I am not an expert in desktop graphics. Please answer.
Your help will be appreciated.

Solution
I am afraid that either cannot be done, or is above my knowledge. See if the BIOS will allow running both at once, but is it does one or the other, which I am afraid it will do, then I am afraid you are stuck. after doing so more research, it sounds like there really is no way to do such a thing.
On-board graphics are almost always inferior to a dedicated card, so I would recommend the reversed, with the gaming screen plugged in to the card. But, I do not think the motherboard will support that, in most BIOSes it is one or the other (on-board or dedicated card you can't utilize both). Can you plug both monitors into the card? because that is guaranteed to work if your card supports it which it should if it has more than one port on it.

Aditya123456

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015

Well, I can do that, but on a laptop, I can decide which application runs in which card.
For example, I can run Windows Media Player or VLC on the integrated and play a high graphics game on the discrete at the same time. If I happen to run both the game and another application on the same card, eigther of them crashes.

Can you tell me a solution as to how to selectively run applications on both the cards on a desktop. Your help will be appreciated. Thank You!

I am afraid that either cannot be done, or is above my knowledge. See if the BIOS will allow running both at once, but is it does one or the other, which I am afraid it will do, then I am afraid you are stuck. after doing so more research, it sounds like there really is no way to do such a thing.

Solution

Aditya123456

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015

Thank You very much for your answer. I will do some more research and will reply if I find a method for the same.