2nd GPU in multi-GPU, Multi Monitor setup not working

randomrdp

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
EDIT: I have surrendered, I contact Nvida support and they said to run the two is impossible due to the drivers conflicting so I sent the 970 back to amazon and I have ordered a r9 290x

Hello World,

I've just bought a 970 GTX to take over from my old 260 GTX. I have the 970 working perfectly but I can't seem to get the 260 working alongside it. I currently have 2 monitors connected to my 970 and I'm hoping to get my 260 to run another 2.

From what I read two different GPU's in the same computer should work.. When I have one plugged everything works as it should but after plugging in the 2nd one Nivida GeForce only sees one. However if I go to 'Computer Management' Windows sees both of them and will display 'Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)'

I have a 750 Watt PSU, 16 GB of RAM and an i74790k so my hardware shouldn't be a problem.

Any help will be much appreciated
Thank you for reading

EDIT: I'm using 2 cards because of my monitor setup,
Sony - 1 DVI & 1 VGA
iiyama - 1 DVI & 1 VGA
LG - 2 HDMI
CTX - 1 VGA

my 970 has a VGA, 2 DVI 1 HDMI & a Display Port
my 260 has a VGA, DVI & a HDMI

my 260 is outputting to my CTX & Sony Monitors
my 970 is outputting to my iiyama & LG Monitors

They are not based on the same micro-architecture. 970 is Maxwell, 260 is Tesla - thus it will not work. Besides that, for SLI to work they need to have the exact same VRAM.

So if you have a 970 4GB, then you need another GPU with the same micro-architecture (Maxwell) and 4GB of VRAM for it to work, but not necessarily the identical card, i.e 2x970 4GB.

Alternatively, read this guide on the official Nvidia side: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/469402/

randomrdp

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

Thanks for the reply but I'm not trying to run them in SLI I just want to run some monitors from the 260

lol I am very sorry, Sir. I completely misread your post, "smacks my head." Give me some minuets to read your post again, and I will reply to the actual question. My bad again, on the positive side though, you got some knowledge regarding SLI, hehe.

randomrdp

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

No worries, Also there is no reason to call me 'Sir' in this scenario I am the 'damsel in distress' and you are the 'knight' I should call you Sir; Sir

Alright, two questions, one additional thing:

1) What model is your motherboard?

2) Is both your GPU's recognized by your motherboard in BIOS? Is it also showing up in hardware manager? (You wrote that it does show up, which is good - probably drivers then)

3) The problem is probably drivers. If you can boot to OS from one of your cards, update the drivers for the one not working - then your problem should be solved.

I give credit to this thread, and in particular Mr. @shadow32 and Mr. @bccorrupt

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2212971/graphics-cards-crossfire-sli.html

randomrdp

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

1) MSI Z97 Gaming 7

2) yes they are

3) I'll try that now

randomrdp

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
So I plugged both in and rebooted, Checked that the BIOS recognised both (it did). when I got to the lock screen I had a display on my 970 Monitors and nothing on my 260 monitors. After logging in the screens flashed a few times and my 260 monitors are now working but only one of my 970 monitors is working.

In my device manger I have no issues with my 260 but with my 970 I have the (code 43) error when I try to update the drivers for it windows tells me they are already up to date.

EDIT: after rebooting only one of my monitors work (the LG) I have the (code 43) error for both of them and according to windows both drivers are up to date.

Now I am absolutely certain that the problem are drivers, as Mr.@shadow32 wrote in the linked thread: "Drivers are a headache to figure out." when running two GPU's not in SLI or crossfire.

This may seem ridiculous but seriously, computers usually are quite ridiculous. Your motherboard should have no problems doing this, however updating your BIOS may solve this problem (I find it unlikely though).

I pretty much found the same thing investigating the internet, here is a quote from guru3d forum:

"You can use as many identical or different (100% unrelated) cards as you like.

1) Just put the cards in
2) load drivers
3) connect extra monitors
4) go to your monitor setup (eg win 7, right click on background, select 'Screen resolution')
5) arrange your monitors how you like, span, clone, whatever.
6) enjoy

The monitor marked as 'primary display' will be where your full screen apps go.
The other monitors are just more screen real-estate for whatever windowed apps you have.
"

-scheherazade

Hope it helps randomrdp, as I said my knowledge is inferior to that of many others on this forum, on this particular topic.

randomrdp

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

ok, after 4 hours, a BSOD and a rebuild, I currently have my 970 working perfectly and my 260 plugged in but not working. I'm currently stuck with my 260 but I am stuck at drivers again when I go into my device manager and try to get windows to find drivers it downloads but before it can install them I get the error message 'system can not find the path specified' which is unusual because I didn't specify a path.

EDIT: after going to Nvida's website and download their driver for my 260 and a reboot I get my original error with the 260 with my 970 still working fine. I think what's happening is that only one driver is being installed at a time and when the new one is installed the other one is removed.