Looking for a 4K LCD monitor 28"" or less

marskeiko123

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I am currently using a LG 42" 4K TV placed facing my bed for computer games (using SLI GTX 970). I have another 24" FHD LCD mon placed on my desk for normal web browsing. Due to the difference in resolution of both monitors, I have to always change the display of my computer when using them. So I was thinking of just getting a 4K LCD monitor for my desk so that I can just set it to show same screen in two display to avoid the hassle of always changing it manually. In addition, I cannot use keyboard and mouse when I am using the TV, therefore I can use the 4K LCD monitor to play FPS games. Nevertheless, the main focus is still my TV, therefore I am willing to opt for a cheap option budget wise for the LCD monitor. Does anyone has any good suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Solution
The Dell P2415Q or P2715Q (the only difference being size) is an incredible option for the price. It offers an IPS panel which is preferable to a TN panel. Other monitors that you can look at are the Samsung U28D590D or the ASUS PB287Q, but I would prefer the Dell because it is cheaper and in my opinion much nicer. If you have questions on the difference between IPS and TN, this link will be the best explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNc2fKuVnGU

labmonkey398

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
The Dell P2415Q or P2715Q (the only difference being size) is an incredible option for the price. It offers an IPS panel which is preferable to a TN panel. Other monitors that you can look at are the Samsung U28D590D or the ASUS PB287Q, but I would prefer the Dell because it is cheaper and in my opinion much nicer. If you have questions on the difference between IPS and TN, this link will be the best explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNc2fKuVnGU

Solution

marskeiko123

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

Thanks for the prompt reply! The Dell sure sounds good but the only question for me now is whether or not IPS is really worth it. I am sorry if this gets answered in the video you posted but I am in my office now, I cannot look at videos. If i choose the Samsung model, i only have to pay around US$50 more for a 28" monitor instead of the Dell's 24" monitor which I think is worth it. But if the gaming experience really have a difference between IPS and TN, I'm glad to save US$50 and go for the Dell 24". Thanks.

Edit:Also, shall I be using a display port or HDMI for either monitor? Thanks.

labmonkey398

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

In my opinion, IPS absolutely makes the difference. The colors are much brighter than TN, and they are also not distorted. I have owned both TN and IPS panels and I will never buy a TN again, simply because of the color distortion which I cannot stand. However, if you are not as sensitive to color distortion or horrible viewing angles then the TN panels tend to be cheaper per square inch. That's pretty much what the video says.

Both are HDMI.