Worth Upgrading from 560ti sli to Gtx 970?

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
As the subject says, I'm thinking of upgrading from my 560ti sli setup to a single gtx 970. I was hoping to get some opinions as weather or not its a worth while upgrade. The 560tis still perform quite well in my opinion, but they are starting to show their age with more modern games. I'm looking at either the asus or evga models. I'm currently gaming at 1080p but would like to move up to a higher res monitor in the near future.
Win 7 64
i7-870 3.5gz
12gigs ddr 3
750 80+ psu.

I know my cpu is a little dated as well but whenever I run into performance problems, my gpu's are maxing out way before the cpu. Thanks in advance.

krells

Distinguished
The extra performance and VRAM will be a nice upgrade especially if you go to a higher resolution monitor. I have the Asus model and have been happy with it but the EVGA seems like a decent card as well.

Sounds like a good move to me but be aware the current CPU will be a small restriction at 1080 res, less so if you up the display size.
Also be aware that NO single GPU out there can game on a 4K display without either suffering a significant frame rate penalty or forcing the user to lower some settings to get a reasonable frame rate.
Apart from the single fan 'reference' models all the GTX970s are both cool and quiet in in operation.
EVGA still have the best warranty and service in the business and their cards are well cooled but they can be a little more expensive than some.
The Asus Strix is very quiet, particularly when lightly loaded while the Gigabyte windforce are probably to coolest running overall-but they're quite large.
The others are pretty much a case of 'pick the one you like the look of best'.

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks for the input so far. My last few cards have been Evga and I've been very happy with them. I can get the Asus Strix for about $30 less then the evga superclocked version which is a little tempting, especially if quality and performance is basically the same. Also been looking at the 980 but I just don't see it being worth the extra almost $300.