A Whole New RIG

BidnessMan

Reputable
Feb 28, 2015
ALRIGHTY! I've been a creeper on tom's for some time now. Never before have I asked a question BUT... now is the time.

I've *finally* finished my dream machine... and for some reason it feels like anything but.

Specs:
i7 4790k
Asus Maximus VII Formula
Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980
GSkill TridentX 2x8GB 1600MHz 7-8-8-24
Samsung 840 Evo 256GB SSD
EVGA 1200w P2

I have a fresh install of WIndows 8.1

Now, I'm having issues with a few games. The frame rates are alright for the most part, but there are still some glaring problems. I have a very keen eye and I notice when there are even slight graphical errors or inconsistencies.

Assassin's Creed: Unity: The crowd pop-in is unreal even on characters' clothes right next to Arno. Entire segments of trees, buildings, marketplace stands, carts, etc. randomly like... It's not a pop in but... almost like a PowerPoint transition of every pixel of the object slowly rendering. Excessive clipping and combat glitches. Physics reset on Arno's coat tails. Etc.

Far Cry 4: Crazy pop in on trees and other parts of the environment. While moving or looking at particular angles, foliage and trees will have a constant white/gold shimmer moving across them that starts and stops on the object when I do. The same slow particle-like rendering of mountians, buildings, trees, and foliage like I mentioned for AC:U. While driving or sprinting along the roads it looks as if the textures are continuously being rendered in front of me instead of remaining stationary... as if there is a secondary LOD distance for JUST the textures on JUST the dirt roads. It's hard to describe and I haven't seen anyone else complain or make mention of it.

The Witcher 2: Flicker on the edges of most wood walkways or surfaces. Wherever certain edges meet I can see a white line as if looking through to the sky-box surrounding the game world. It is shimmering and white where certain edges meet in houses, on rocks or cliffs, etc. And Geralt's hair physics will randomly reset, it will stick straight out then return to the back of his neck and head. Sometimes it will do this continuously during conversations or whilst standing still.

I had many of these same issues on my old setup from a couple months ago. But on my shiny new RIG these issues persist even with all settings turned to Low or completely off.

I know Ubisoft games are bad examples due to their piss poor optimization and design overall BUT...

My buddy has an identical setup save for his i5-4690k and Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8 2400MHz. These same games are buttery smooth with settings completely maxed out, well above 60fps. I called up my dad too and he has older components (arguably worse) and an EVGA 980 Classified and performs about the same. We all have 2560x1440 monitors, but I have a G-Sync monitor.

Now my system does impress when it comes to many other games, Shadow of Mordor especially. Even with the Ultra HD Texture pack enabled which recommends 6GB of VRAM I can play with settings maxed and run at 55-93 FPS. But even then there are the occasional graphical hitches, once again, regardless of whether or not my settings are turned all the way down or up.

Is there anything to be done about these issues for these games? Why am I running in to these issues when 2 others with identical or "worse" setups do not? Is my setup even really that good or well conceived? Are there any BIOS tweaks or Nvidia control panel settings you'd recommend to ensure maximum performance and stability?

Apologies for the length but I've only just recently resolved an issue wherein i couldn't play *any* game for more than 10 minutes without crashing... if it didn't crash on startup. Thus, my disappointment when I finally get everything stable and still see a litany of graphical errors and frame-rate drops is pretty bad. Especailly due to the money I spent and my experience compared to my two previously mentioned associates.

Any assistance or advice is greatly appreciated. Try to touch on *everything* I brought up at least once.

Finally, please give some tips or advice for me to keep in mind when building my next RIG in future.

Thank you <3