Can i use motherboard VGA port for 3 monitor eyefinity?

xStampede

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013
I'm trying to make a test eyefinity setup using 2 older lcd monitors 1680x1080 and combine it with my newer 1920x1080.

The problem is that the older ones have only VGA and DVI-I, but the GPU Asus 280x TOP have only 2x DVI, so for the third monitor can i use the motherboard VGA port and will GPU be able to use it for eyefinity? The motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics i think, it's Asus h97m-e, the CPU is i7 4790.

Solution
No, you cannot use the on-board graphics (and yes, your motherboard does have them) for an Eyefinity set up. All the displays must be connected to your graphics card. I don't see where the problem is, though. The DVI-I inputs are your older displays are both analog and digital, so you *should* be able to use and HDMI to DVI or DisplayPort to DVI cable to connect those older displays.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
No, you cannot use the on-board graphics (and yes, your motherboard does have them) for an Eyefinity set up. All the displays must be connected to your graphics card. I don't see where the problem is, though. The DVI-I inputs are your older displays are both analog and digital, so you *should* be able to use and HDMI to DVI or DisplayPort to DVI cable to connect those older displays.

-Wolf sends

Solution

xStampede

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013
Connected the display using DVI-I, DVI-D and HDMI on GPU, now the problem is in AMD Catalyst when i try to run the 3rd monitor on it says i need to turn one of the other 2 monitors off to enable it.

That's in AMD > Desktop Management > Craeting and Arranging Desktops, it sees all 3 monitors but can't have more than 2 monitors at once turn on, and if i try to create an Eyefinity setup it allows me to create it only with enabled monitors. What to do?

xStampede

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013

Yes, i realized that, thanks you for help. I guess i will have to buy an active display port to dvi-d adapter. Anyway it was an experimental setup before buying a new monitor, now i know i need Display Port in the new monitor.