anyone have experience with Linux and recent Z97 motherboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbler

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Anyone running Linux on any recent Z97 motherboards with a devils canyon 4790K CPU out there? If so, any issues with the motherboard that you've got?

If there have been issues, have you been able to fix them and how?

I'm asking as I'm looking to upgrade in the future, but want peoples second opinions and experiences with various motherboards while running Linux. (Ubuntu and most of its derivatives, though any Linux and its experience with the board is still welcome.)

Any responses are appreciated.

Solution
I just set up a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC FORCE with an i7-4790k and transferred my Gentoo system from a 790i Ultra SLI (circa 2008). All I had to do was configure a new kernel to support the new hardware, compile, and move the drive. Worked flawlessly on first boot. Once moved I modified make.conf to include the new CPU capabilities and recompiled the entire system. If using Ubuntu you should have at least 14.04, 13.10 and earlier doesn't fully support the Z97, at least in my experience.
Not sure if it's any help, as it's not quite the spec you asked for, but one of my home PC's is built around an ASUS Z87-A with an Intel Core i3-4330, running Linux Mint (Ubuntu derrivative), and it's always "just worked".

I just set up a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC FORCE with an i7-4790k and transferred my Gentoo system from a 790i Ultra SLI (circa 2008). All I had to do was configure a new kernel to support the new hardware, compile, and move the drive. Worked flawlessly on first boot. Once moved I modified make.conf to include the new CPU capabilities and recompiled the entire system. If using Ubuntu you should have at least 14.04, 13.10 and earlier doesn't fully support the Z97, at least in my experience.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.