SIX monitor setup - Need new gaming graphics card(s).

kleach

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I have a ASUS P9X79 WS and have six DELL 1908FP-BLK Monitors which use a DVI-D connection.
I am looking to get MUCH more powerful graphics cards. I currently have NVIDIA Quadro NVS 420 (runs 4 monitors) and a Quadro NVS 290 (which runs 2).

I would like to upgrade the graphics cards so I can work on game programming with Unity and UnReal engines.

I was considering the ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5 but not sure if I can get a 4 DVI-D connections off of it?

I am willing to use two cards if needed as long as they work together.
ALSO.. I am willing to have a four of the monitors with gaming level graphics power and maybe the other two lower specs.. Like I said I am coding and only need 4 for game testing.. the other two are for code etc..
Seems like there should be a better option than what I found out there..
I am HOPING NOT to have to upgrade these old monitors (for now)

Thanks in advance..

Solution
Sorry been busy and haven't been able to post. No, I don't have an issue with the 970 but as explained sli is not helping your needs. Why spend money on 2 when only 1 will do anything besides when playing games. As I understand that's not what the pc is for.

kleach

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
no budget really.. under 8-- say?
I could keep one of the cards.. but I would still need to power 4 monitors with a DVI connection.. Which card can power 4 monitors.. If I have to buy the adapters that is OK as long as they don't add lag.

Benab3

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
If that is $800 then there would be a few things that I would consider.
Dual 980's (may be a little over budget)
Dual 970's ( If 980's are too much)
Or even a single 980

Another option that is possible is a r9 295x, an awesome dual chip gpu, with watercooling loop as standard, great performer but may not be for you ( the card is rated for 500 Watts on its own )

kleach

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Yes that was $800.. how many monitors can the ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5 run at the same time?
Looks like it has :
DVI Output : Yes x 1 (DVI-I)
HDMI Output : Yes x 1 (HDMI 2.0)
Display Port : Yes x 3 (Regular DP)

Does that imply that if I go adapter crazy I can run 5 DVI monitors off of it and still get performance?

kleach

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I don't really need a single GPU.. I am open to two cards even.
Would it make sense to get a 980 and maybe a lesser card? for the other 2? Or a card that is cheaper and similar performance but run only 3 monitors each?
As long as they work with the ASUS P9X79 WS motherboard and are not noisy I am open to whatever.
SOUND is a factor here.. I have a very quite workstation now and would rather keep it that way.. it does have a sound dampening case...

I made the mistake of calling ASUS... they recommended
hd7970-dc2t-3gd5
Which I think is 3+ years old?
I escalated it to level 2... see what they say...

Benab3

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Yes the hd7970-dc2t-3gd5 is a 6 monitor support card, but it is a bit too low spec a card for quad monitor gaming and an extra 2 for whatever else.

I also had a look at your motherboard, it is an impressive one. up to 4 way sli , so any combination would fit in as long as your psu will take it

Woody1999

Admirable

You might have misread. The 7990 is two 7970s on a single card. So much awesomeness.

Woody

kleach

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I am doing game development with Unity and Unreal engines... so I need quality high performing graphics cards that will allow me to develop in fully rendered views. That is the reason I am upgrading. What I have now works but just does not have the power needed to get a good frame rate and lacks the newer features.
So the matrox will not work for me.
Is there a solid performing card that will support 3 monitors? I could but two.

Benab3

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
980 is solid for 3 monitors and an extra one on the side for other junk. And you could keep one of your quadros for the non intensive stuff.

Another route could be professional cards ( if within budget ) or possibly a Titan.

kleach

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I am thinking two
ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support G-SYNC Support Video Cards will do the trick?
I assume I can run THREE monitors off each.. I would have to buy TWO DisplayPort to DVI active adapters... and an SLI cable.. (might as well)

IS THAT CORRECT? WILL that work?

Ue4 is not sli friendly and unity does not support it. Sli will only allow 4 total but you'll want sli for a performance gain in anything that supports it. Disabling/enabling sli can be done in the nvidia control panel. I'd say to stick with what I said originally, the 980 with one of your quadros.

kleach

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I may have to use all monitors now for game testing.. (yes this is new info)..
That is why I was going with the two cards.. are you not a fan of the 970?

Sorry been busy and haven't been able to post. No, I don't have an issue with the 970 but as explained sli is not helping your needs. Why spend money on 2 when only 1 will do anything besides when playing games. As I understand that's not what the pc is for.

Solution

kleach

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I ordered two ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 and two pigtail HDMI to DVI converters.. I will run three monitors off each card. I will be replacing the monitors within a year so I will need the power.. I tried to order from B&H Photo...randomly they had the best price.. hope that will not turn out to be a problem.. no guts...